Where others see borders, Archer’s China Practice Group sees opportunities. We get things done for our clients effectively and efficiently, based on our deep understanding of and respect for the subtle differences between the Asian and Western business cultures.
Archer’s China Practice Group was established to assist Chinese entrepreneurs and companies with legal needs in China and the United States. Our clients are leading companies that span across multiple industries, including alternative energy, petroleum, pharmaceutical, life sciences, manufacturing, retail, consumer goods, transportation, financial, real estate, and agriculture.
Archer’s China Practice Group is co-chaired by Jiangang (“James”) Ou. James is an experienced attorney, who graduated from East China University of Political Science and Law and previously practiced law with the T&C Law Firm in Hangzhou, China. James joined Archer’s Houston, Texas office in 2022. At that time, Ying Chen also joined Archer, bolstering Archer’s China practice. Ying is a graduate of the University of Houston Law Center and previously worked for AllBright Law Offices, one of China’s largest law firms. Ying also is resident in Archer’s Houston Office.
The Group is co-chaired by Stephen M. Packman, who is a Fellow of INSOL and has extensive cross-border legal experience. Steve practices throughout the United States and internationally. He is resident in Archer’s Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office.
The attorneys in our Group understand the law, legal system, and business environment of China and the culture that drives it. They are fluent in Mandarin, having previously lived and worked in China for over a decade. Their legal and business experience in China and the United States affords our clients unique resources in order to navigate both markets in many areas of the law.
Working closely with attorneys in related Archer practices, including Business Counseling; Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Insolvency Litigation; Business Litigation; Intellectual Property; Real Estate; Immigration; and Tax, our China Practice Group provides clients with full-service representation with global capabilities and local know-how.
We advise clients in the following areas:
- Sophisticated commercial litigation matters
- Insolvency (including enforcement of creditor claims in the U.S.)
- Enforcement of Chinese Court Money Judgement Arbitral Awards in the U.S.
- Dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration
- Intellectual property protection and litigation
- Distribution chains and sales
- Due diligence (including Pre-IPO DD for U.S. subsidiaries of Chinese issuers)
- Entity formation (in multiple jurisdictions, including Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas)
- Data privacy and cybersecurity
- Cross-border investigations
- Labor and employment
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Corporate finance and securities matters
- Renewable energy projects
- Real estate