Patrick Papalia leads Archer’s New York and Hackensack Office business litigation groups. Mr. Papalia has an extensive trial record of successful verdicts on complex business litigation and labor matters. Mr. Papalia is a first chair trial lawyer, attaining Certified Civil Trial Attorney status from the Supreme Court of New Jersey, a distinction attained by less than two percent of all practicing attorneys. Mr. Papalia received his initial trial certification in 2012 and achieved recertification in 2017.
Mr. Papalia has implemented winning strategies on his litigation matters. He has obtained no cause judgments on actions he has defended and obtained multimillion dollar recoveries in actions where his clients have been damaged in commercial disputes. Mr. Papalia’s practice encompasses various industries. Mr. Papalia has developed specialties in handling matters in the information technology, fashion, diamond and jewelry, hospitality and pharmaceutical industries. Mr. Papalia also handles matters in many other diverse and varied industries.
- Tried a matter to verdict on a license dispute for a fashion client, and obtained a $28 million verdict after eleven trial days. In the matter, the adverse party, a global fashion house, sought $2 million from Mr. Papalia’s client. During the litigation, the adverse party made no settlement offers and demanded nothing short of full payment of its $2 million claim. Mr. Papalia was victorious on liability, and obtained all damages sought by his client in a contentious litigation.
- Obtained a no cause verdict, after a seven day trial, on a $6 million dollar commercial business dispute arising from an alleged business venture failure for an engineering company. Additionally, Mr. Papalia prevailed on his client’s counterclaim and also obtained an attorney fee award against the adverse party recovery all of his client’s legal fees and costs pursuant to the parties’ contract fee shifting provision.
- Obtained summary judgment on a matter for a technology client, after four years of discovery in a United Stated Federal Court action, involving labor and tort claims. The plaintiff’s demand was $5 million. The Court’s opinion cited verbatim, parts of the deposition testimony Mr. Papalia elicited from the plaintiff that was the foundation for the Court’s granting of the summary judgment motion.
- Obtained a favorable defense verdict after a six day damages only trial related to a non-compete and unfair competition claim. The plaintiff sought $7 million, the court awarded $350,000. The plaintiff rejected a settlement offer during the trial by Mr., Papalia’s client of $500,000 to resolve the action.
- Obtained summary judgment on a labor matter involving claims of discrimination and whistle blower activities. The Court relied on admissions obtained by Mr. Papalia of the plaintiff during four days of plaintiff’s deposition. The plaintiff had a seven figure demand on the matter.
- Successfully defended and implemented a favorable settlement strategy, settling a claim alleging insurance fraud in which a multimillion dollar claim was asserted by an insurance company.
- Represented a global diamond wholesaler in a million dollar settlement against a national retailer, which received national press and recognition, related to an exclusive license agreement breach and unfair competition claim.
- Obtained a successful verdict with monetary damages, including an award of all the attorney’s fees and costs expended by the client, an information technology client, against a vendor under a software master services agreement involving a breach of a non-compete and restrictive covenant.
- Defended a matter resulting in no recovery to a plaintiff seeking damages against a firm diamond and jewelry client for alleged infringement of a federal trademark.
- Handled a multimillion dollar estate litigation in which his client recovered in excess of twenty million dollars on a Will contest. The result was achieved from the aggressive and strategic litigation plan put in place by Mr. Papalia.
- Mr. Papalia has extensive experience in handling and defending Federal and State government audits and compliance investigations for clients in the areas of labor, immigration, and corporate fraud. He has handled such matters being prosecuted by Federal and State agencies, on a nationwide basis.
- Mr. Papalia has also been involved in transactional matters in the areas of mergers and acquisitions with Archer’s corporate group.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the Bergen County Bar Association
- Member and Legal Advisor to IT Serve Alliance, a national technology organization.
- Member and Legal Advisor to the Northeast Chapter of IT Serve Alliance.
- Board Member of a Nonprofit organization that provides early intervention and care for autistic children.
- Former head coach and board member of the Upper Saddle River Girls Recreational Soccer Association.
- Mr. Papalia is married with four children. Mr. Papalia is an avid road cyclist and runner and enjoys running 5Ks. He dedicates efforts to charitable events and fundraising, including for underprivileged children.