Kate A. Sherlock collaborates with clients to protect their intellectual property and data. She represents clients of all sizes across most major industry sectors, including automotive, clothing, health care, and tech industries.
As a member of Archer’s Data Privacy Group, Kate helps clients comply with various data privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). She reviews third-party vendor contracts and service level agreements and drafts both internal and outward facing policies and procedures governing data privacy and cybersecurity, including privacy policies and cookie notices.
In her practice, Kate helps clients develop and protect their brands by prosecuting trademark applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and litigating opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She regularly counsels clients on the right to use and ability to register trademarks, prepares licensing agreements, and advises on business transactions involving intellectual property.
Kate’s depth of intellectual property experience also extends to litigation. She has litigated in federal and state court in matters involving trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, trade secret misappropriation, “cybersquatting,” and general contract and business tort disputes.
During law school, Kate interned for the Honorable Joel Schneider, United States Magistrate Judge for the District of New Jersey, and completed a five-month co-op with Comcast in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was a member of the Drexel Law Review and also contributed over 100 pro bono hours to the Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Prior to attending law school, Kate worked as a Media Licensing Coordinator in the Business and Legal Affairs Department of MTV Networks where she negotiated third-party licensing agreements on behalf of MTV, VH1, and Comedy Central. She also has extensive experience in licensing music for placement in television and movies.
- Successfully defended alcoholic beverage distributor against priority claims in trademark opposition proceeding at the TTAB.
- Counseled international clothing manufacturer on data privacy laws, including CCPA and GDPR, and revised all customer facing policies.
- Drafted intellectual property assignment and licensing agreements as part of health care corporation’s conversion to a non-profit entity.
- Drafted successful trademark office action responses to overcome USPTO refusals based upon likelihood of confusion, failure to function as a trademark, and descriptiveness.
- Negotiated and drafted data processing agreements between computer software manufacturer and cloud storage provider.
- Represented IT company in litigation involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information.
- Represented Fortune 500 telecommunications company in litigation involving claims for tortious interference, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of antitrust laws.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Technology Council- Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce (2018-2019)
- Mock Trial Coach for Bishop Eustace High School (2014-2015)
Articles and Presentations
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Issues For The Transactional Attorney, The Barrister, CCBA (June 2019)
- Cybersecurity Checklist: 10 Steps To Protect Your Business, Guest Columnist, Chamber of Commerce Southern NJ (January 2019)
- CBD Industry Buzzing: USPTO Gives the Green Light to (Some) CBD Trademarks, Archer Client Advisory (May 2019)