Kate collaborates with clients to protect their intellectual property rights and data. Her practice encompasses a broad range of intellectual property-driven business transactions, as well as protection and litigation matters. She represents clients of all sizes across most major industries, including the tech, automotive, entertainment, fashion, and cannabis industries. Kate also provides legal services to a number of nonprofit corporate clients and higher education institutions.
Kate has extensive commercial contracting experience. She drafts and negotiates master service agreements, software licensing and SaaS agreements, social media influencer agreements, name and likeness releases, publishing agreements, and other technology, media, and data-related agreements. She regularly counsels clients on the right to use and ability to register trademarks and copyrights, prepares licensing agreements, performs targeted intellectual property due diligence, and handles intellectual property assignment arrangements for clients undergoing significant corporate change.
As a member of Archer’s Data Privacy Group, Kate helps clients comply with various data privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). She reviews third-party vendor contracts and service level agreements and drafts both internal and outward facing policies and procedures governing data privacy and cybersecurity, including data processing agreements, privacy policies, and cookie notices.
Kate’s depth of intellectual property experience also extends to litigation. Kate regularly handles trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the TTAB and UDRP domain disputes. She has litigated in federal and state court in matters involving trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, trade secret misappropriation, domain name disputes, and general contract and business tort disputes.
During law school, Kate interned for the Honorable Joel Schneider, United States Magistrate Judge for the District of New Jersey. Prior to attending law school, Kate worked as a Media Licensing Coordinator in the Business and Legal Affairs Department of MTV Networks, where she negotiated third-party licensing agreements on behalf of MTV, VH1, and Comedy Central. She also has extensive experience in licensing music for placement in television and movies.
- Negotiated and drafted master service agreement and data processing agreement between IT service provider and Fortune 100 company
- Counseled esports organization on trademark portfolio and branding
- Drafted merchant agreement and end-user policies for e-commerce mobile app developer
- Negotiated and drafted social media influencer agreements on behalf of international fashion company
- Drafted and negotiated name, image and likeness releases for actors performing in commercials
- Negotiated and drafted settlement agreement between board game creator and graphic designer
- Successfully defended alcoholic beverage distributor against priority claims in trademark opposition proceeding at the TTAB
- Drafted intellectual property assignment and licensing agreements as part of health care corporation’s conversion to a non-profit entity
- Drafted and negotiated publishing agreement on behalf of author
Professional and Community Involvement
- Archer Women Lawyers’ Network
- Southern New Jersey Chamber of Commerce
- Camden County Chamber of Commerce
- Parent Teacher Association, Haddonfield, NJ (2022-present)
- Former Member, Advisory Board, Boxwood Arts (Haddonfield, NJ)
- Former Member, Technology Council, Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Mock Trial Coach for Bishop Eustace High School (2014-2015)
- “Cultivating a Cannabis brand,” NJ Cannabis INSIDER, Issue 260 (June 2023)
- “UDRP: Still a Powerful and Efficient Tool for Combatting Anonymous Cybersquatters,” The Legal Intelligencer (March 2023)
- “Tools for Combating Cybersquatting,” Commerce Magazine (January 2023)
- “Privacy Law Changes Are Coming: Is Your Business Ready?,” Archer Client Advisory (October 2022)
- “CLOSING ENTRY: On your mark – An intellectual property attorney’s tips for launching a brand,” NJBIZ (May 2021)
- “Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Issues For The Transactional Attorney,” The Barrister, CCBA (June 2019)
- “CBD Industry Buzzing: USPTO Gives the Green Light to (Some) CBD Trademarks,” Archer Client Advisory (May 2019)
- “New Jersey Passes Law Protecting Employee Rights to Own and Use Inventions Developed Using Personal Time and Resources,” Archer Client Advisory (March 2018)
Past Speaking Engagements and Seminars
- “Cybersecurity Checklist: 10 Steps To Protect Your Business,” Guest Columnist, Chamber of Commerce Southern NJ (January 2019)
In the News
- “Protect Data Privacy or Pay the Price,” NJ Business Magazine (9/12/19)