Kate A. Sherlock is both an IP litigator and counselor, she concentrates her practice in complex commercial litigation and intellectual property disputes involving trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, trade secret misappropriation, “cybersquatting,” as well as general contract and business tort disputes.
Kate has experience litigating in federal and state court, at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and before the U.S. International Trade Commission. In addition to her litigation practice, Kate manages Archer & Greiner’s trademark prosecution and inter partes practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She regularly counsels clients on the right to use and ability to register trademarks, and advises on intellectual property-driven business transactions, such as trademark and copyright licensing and assignment agreements. Kate also works closely with a network of foreign IP firms to advise clients on international IP issues.
During law school, Kate interned for the Honorable Joel Schneider, United States Magistrate Judge for the District of New Jersey, and completed a five-month co-op with Comcast in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was a member of the Drexel Law Review and also contributed over 100 pro bono hours to the Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Prior to attending law school, Kate worked as a Media Licensing Coordinator in the Business and Legal Affairs Department of MTV Networks where she negotiated third-party licensing agreements on behalf of MTV, VH1, and Comedy Central. She also has extensive experience in licensing music for placement in television and movies.
The following are examples of the types of cases and matters Kate has handled on behalf of our firm’s clients:
- Represented alcoholic beverage distributor in trademark opposition proceeding at the TTAB
- Represented social media company in litigation involving claims for trademark infringement and unfair competition
- Represented IT company in litigation involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information
- Represented LED lighting manufacturer in litigation involving claims of copyright infringement, unjust enrichment, and breach of contract
- Represented Fortune 500 telecommunications company in litigation involving claims for tortious interference, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of antitrust laws
- Negotiated publishing agreement on behalf of author
- Drafted and negotiated option agreement on behalf of author
- Drafted settlement and intellectual property assignment agreement on behalf of architectural and structural roofing manufacturer
- Counseled computer software company, technology manufacturer, and media company on what data privacy laws apply to them and steps to work towards compliance
- Negotiated and revised cybersecurity and data privacy terms to master services agreement between U.S. software services company and UK customer
- Negotiated and drafted data processing agreements between computer software manufacturer and cloud storage provider and computer software manufacturer and client user
- Negotiated and drafted cybersecurity terms within master services agreement between software company and state utility company
Professional And Community Involvement
Current Professional Organization Membership
- Copyright Society of America- Philadelphia Chapter
- Technology Council- Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Mock Trial Coach for Bishop Eustace High School (2014-2015)
Articles & Presentations
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Issues For The Transactional Attorney, CCBA The Barrister, June 2019
- Cybersecurity Checklist: 10 Steps To Protect Your Business, Chamber of Commerce Southern NJ, Guest Colum, January 2019
- CBD Industry Buzzing: USPTO Gives the Green Light to (Some) CBD Trademarks, Archer Client Advisory, May 2019