Don concentrates his practice in the area of estate litigation, including will contests, disputes between fiduciaries and beneficiaries and preparation of accountings. Don also represents clients in contested accounting actions, breach of fiduciary duty claims and disputes involving the validity or use of powers of attorney.
With over 40 years of experience, Don is a zealous advocate who helps clients navigate the unfamiliar and occasionally emotionally-charged area of trust and estate litigation. He helps clients understand their rights and duties, and works to maximize each client’s objectives by developing a customized litigation strategy, generally culminating in negotiated resolution, mediation, or trial.
Prior to joining Archer, Don served for 25 years as counsel to the Surrogate of Camden County. Don reviewed wills for submission to probate in the Camden County Surrogate’s Court. Don reviewed all probate pleadings filed in the Superior Court in Camden County, including the audit of all fiduciary accountings filed during his tenure.
Don is a frequent speaker on probate matters for a variety of professional organizations, including the Camden County Bar Association, Burlington County Bar Association, Philadelphia Bar Association, New Jersey Title Insurance Producers Association, Guardians Association of New Jersey, and the Surrogate’s Section of the Constitutional Officers Association of New Jersey. For 15 years, Don presented annual estate litigation seminars for newly admitted attorneys on behalf of the New Jersey Supreme Court’s Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Camden County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Regional School (Berlin, N.J.)
Past Speaking Engagements and Seminars
- “The Exercise of Judicial Discretion in the Surrogates’ Courts,” County Officers’ Association of New Jersey, Surrogates’ Section (September 2020, 2021, 2023)
- “Developing Trends in Estate Litigation,” County Officers’ Association of New Jersey Annual Convention, Surrogates’ Section (2012-present)
- “Archer Estate Litigation Seminar – Hot Trends in Estate Litigation” (Annually)
- Estate Litigation Skills and Methods, New Jersey Supreme Court’s Institute for Continuing Legal Education (Annually).
- “Developing Trends in Probate Litigation,” Constitutional Officers Association of NJ, Surrogates’ Section (September 2016, 2017)
- “Fundamentals of NJ Probate Practice,” Rutgers University School of Law, Rutgers Institute for Professional Education (November 2017)
- “The New Guardianship Rules,” Archer Estate Litigation Forum (May 2017)
- “Virtual Representation, Charitable Interests and Related Issues Under the Uniform Trust Code,” Archer Estate Litigation Forum (April, 2016)
- “The Application of Judicial Discretion in the Surrogates’ Courts,” Constitutional Officers Association of New Jersey, Surrogates’ Section (September 2016)
- “Fundamentals of NJ Probate Practice,” Rutgers University School of Law, Rutgers Institution for Professional Education (November 2016)