Charlie’s practice focuses on all areas of toxic tort and environmental law. He represents clients in all stages of litigation in complex multi-party matters in both federal and state courts. Charlie represents clients in complex environmental matters, as well as civil and administrative litigation, and has advised clients on issues under CERCLA, RCRA, the New Jersey Spill Act, and other federal and state environmental statutes and regulations. In particular, he is experienced in pursuing and defending complex environmental litigation matters, such as claims involving contribution and cost recovery, underground storage tanks, soil and groundwater contamination, diminution in value to property, economic and non-economic damages, cleanup and response costs, Natural Resource Damages, and physical and psychological injuries. Charlie also has experience serving as plaintiff’s counsel in toxic tort matters.
In addition to being well-versed in toxic tort and environmental matters, Charlie has experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in other areas of litigation, such as eminent domain, commercial contract disputes, trademark infringement, personal injury matters, and landlord/tenant disputes.
Charlie’s practice spans all aspects of litigation, including drafting pleadings, drafting discovery requests and responses, managing large scale document reviews and productions, taking and defending depositions, working extensively with expert witnesses in highly complex and technical areas, drafting and arguing dispositive motions, and taking cases to trial.
Charlie graduated cum laude from Rutgers School of Law – Camden where he received the First Year Legal Writing Award and the Reed Smith Clinical Excellence Award. During law school, Charlie was an associate editor for the Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy, a board member for the Hunter Moot Court program, interned for the Honorable Dora L. Irizarry in the Eastern District of New York, and externed for the Honorable Renee Marie Bumb in the District of New Jersey.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for alleged generator in CERCLA action in the District of New Jersey seeking recovery of costs for landfill remediation involving over 300 potentially responsible parties.
- Successfully obtained motion to dismiss for alleged responsible party in CERCLA contribution action in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania seeking recovery of costs for landfill remediation.
- Currently represents a Fortune 500 plaintiff in CERCLA cost recovery and contribution action in the District of New Jersey for response costs incurred to United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in defense of a multi-billion dollar action brought by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for cleanup and removal costs and damages associated with the Passaic River.
- Currently represents a major petroleum company in defending products liability and Natural Resource Damages claims associated with gasoline additive methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) in multiple federal multi-district litigations brought by numerous state natural resource trustees,
- Currently represents multiple Fortune 500 companies in defense of complex Natural Resource Damages actions in New Jersey State court involving two history refinery properties being remediated.
- Represented a major petroleum company in defense of multi-billion dollar action brought by New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection concerning alleged Natural Resources Damages at a major refinery, including extensive trial preparation.
- Represents multiple companies pursuing and defending claims of polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) and perfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) contamination at multiple sites in New Jersey and New York.
- Served as trial counsel in New Jersey for redevelopment authority in eminent domain action. Obtained favorable jury verdict in eminent domain valuation trial.
- Successfully represented redevelopment authority in defeating landowner’s complaint in lieu of prerogative writs action in New Jersey State court.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chamber of Commerce of Southern New Jersey
- Rutgers Law Alumni Association Board
- Rutgers Law Alumni Association Young Lawyers Committee, Chair
- Camden County Bar Association
- South Jersey Young Professionals Association Board of Trustees
Articles and Presentations
- Co-Author, “NJ’s Natural Resource Damage Order May Be Helpful For Cos.,” Law360 (April 2023)
- Co-Author, “Decision Lowers Standard for Enforceability of Arb Clauses in Commercial Contracts,” New Jersey Law Journal (April 2023)
- Co-Author, “NJDEP Issues Administrative Order Revamping NRD Settlement Policies and Practices in New Jersey,” Archer & Greiner, P.C. Client Advisory (March 2023)
- Co-Author, “USEPA Announces Proposed National Primary Drinking Water Regulations for PFAS Compounds,” Archer & Greiner, P.C. Client Advisory (March 2023)
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in Environmental Law: PFAS,” Camden County Bar Association All You Can CLE (December 2022)
- Co-Author, “What Companies Should Know About PFAS Compounds” Bloomberg Law (September 2022)
- Author, 3rd Circ. Decision Highlights Enviro Law Notice Requirements, Law360 (September 2022)
- Speaker, “Ask Archer: A Fireside Chat on Pennsylvania’s Proposed Drinking Water Standard for PFAS: What does it mean, and what is next?” (April 2022)
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Proposes Drinking Water Standard for PFAS” The Legal Intelligencer (March 2022)
- Co-Author, “Pennsylvania Latest State to Propose PFAS Water Regulations,” Bloomberg Law (March 2022)
- Speaker, “Are Suppliers Really ‘Responsible?’: A Fireside Chat on a Recent Appellate Decision Regarding Supplier Liability under New Jersey’s Spill Act”, Archer & Greiner, P.C., June 3, 2021
- Co-Author, “The Power of Private Actions For Natural Resource Damages” Law360 (November 2020)
- Author, “NJ Entire Controversy Doctrine: Does it Apply to CERCLA Actions?” New Jersey Law Journal (June 2020)
- Speaker, “Engineering Law and Ethics,” HalfMoon Education’s Engineering Law Workshop (November 2019)
- Panelist, Rutgers Law School Professionalism Workshop (February 2019)
- Author, “GenX: Recent Regulatory and Litigation Developments,“ American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (July 2018)
- Author, “Member on the Spot“, The Barrister (April, 2018)
- Panelist, “CERCLA Contribution Claims: Guidance and Litigation Strategies for Environmental Lawyers,” NJICLE Webinar (January 2018)
- Panelist, “Corporate Compliance and Ethics, eDiscovery, and Social Media Trends,” Rutgers Institute for Professional Education (December 2017)
- Author, “A Valuable Contribution: Cercla Cost Recovery and Contribution Against The Federal Government,” Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee Newsletter ( 18, No. 3, May 2017, P.22.)
- Author, “A Guide to the New Jersey Appellate Division” New Jersey Law Journal (April 2017)
- Speaker, “Attorneys’ Guide to Local Government Law – Eminent Domain Actions,” National Business Institute, Newark, NJ (December 2016)
- Author, “How Can You Stand Out From the Crowded Applicant Field?,”The Legal Intelligencer, Young Lawyer Column (April 2015)