Andrew J. Cevasco has established himself as an experienced and successful personal and business advisor. He has handled a broad array of matters over his 30 year career ranging from transactional matters to a variety of trials in both the Law and Chancery Divisions of the N.J. Superior Court for business and individual clients.
He appears regularly in Court in will contests, trust litigation and probate matters. He prepares Wills, Trusts and related estate planning documents, and is experienced in the administration of estates and trusts. He also represents clients with regard to guardianship and elder law issues. He lectures often in the areas of estate and tax planning and estate litigation. He has been appointed by the Court to represent minors and allegedly incapacitated persons in both contested and uncontested matters.
He provides a broad range of services to the firm’s commercial clients, including business planning, business formation and dissolution, employment and contract issues, and real estate matters. He has also appeared before the Disciplinary Review Board and the New Jersey Supreme Court to represent attorneys who have been charged with violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct.
Mr. Cevasco is AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell. He is listed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a mediator and mentor on its Roster of Mediators and also serves as an arbitrator in the New Jersey Superior Court, Bergen County.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Cevasco was legal secretary to the Honorable Robert L. Clifford of the New Jersey Supreme Court, gaining hands-on experience with the legal process from the unique vantage point of our highest court. He has utilized this valuable experience in representing clients on a daily basis. He has also argued appeals to the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court and appeared before the New Jersey Supreme Court.
Throughout his career, Mr. Cevasco has demonstrated dedication to public service, most recently through his work on the N.J. Supreme Court Committee on Character, which reviews applications for admission to the New Jersey Bar, and serving on the Board of Trustees of the Bergen County Bar Association. Mr Cevasco has been elected as President of the Bergen County Bar Association for the 2019-2020 term. He co-chairs the Association’s Professionalism and Estate Planning/Probate Committees. Mr. Cevasco was recognized as one of Bergen’s Top Lawyers by (201) Magazine for 2017 and 2018.
- Obtained a Judgment after Trial admitting a Holographic Will to probate in the face of challenges based on the insane delusions of the testator for an estate valued at $18,000,000.
- Negotiated settlement and obtained Judgment construing charitable provisions of a Will pursuant to the doctrine of Cy Pres.
- Successfully defended a multi-million dollar flood claim for a N.J. public utility. Tried the matter for two weeks to a verdict of no cause of action.
- Obtained Summary Judgment for a client charged in Federal District Court with defrauding claimants of German reparation payments.
- Defeated application to N.J. Supreme Court by Office of Attorney Ethics for temporary suspension and disbarment of client.
- Defeated a contested Guardianship application on behalf of court-appointed client.
- Established and administering multi-million dollar Trust for disabled son of deceased client.
- Successfully represented both employers and employees in restrictive covenant litigation.
- Regularly prepares estate plans for clients with estates ranging from modest to large, providing planning for tax avoidance and protective trusts for their children.
- Provides legal counsel to Executors and Trustees for the administration of trusts and estates.
- Established and advised clients regarding court-settled trusts for minor children to hold and administer proceeds of tort litigation and 9-11 awards.
- Advises Corporate clients regarding contract, employment, organizational and government issues.
Professional and Community Involvement
- President, Bergen County Bar Association (2019-2020)
- Member, N.J. Supreme Court Committee on Character (2008 – present)
- Trustee and Officer, Bergen County Bar Association (2005 – present)
- Past Member, N.J. Supreme Court Ethics Committee IIB (1994 – 1998)
- Roster of Mediators, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Arbitration Panelist, Superior Court, Bergen County
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Greater New Jersey Estate Planning Counsel
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Professionalism Committee, Bergen County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Estate Planning Probate Committee, Bergen County Bar Association
- Member, General Equity Committee, Bergen County Bar Association
- Lecturer, N.J. ICLE and National Business Institute (Estate Litigation, Estate Planning, Trusts & Ethics)
- Trustee, former President and Founding Member, Rutherford Education Foundation, Rutherford, N.J. (2002 – present)
- President/Director, Community of God’s Love, Rutherford, NJ (2008 – 2012)
- Member, Cornerstone Committee, Immaculate Conception Seminary, Seton Hall University, West Orange, N.J. (2001 – present)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Greater Bergen YMCA, Hackensack, NJ (1997 – 2008)
- Past Member, Executive Committee, St. Peter’s Prep Parents Association, Jersey City, NJ (2006 – 2010)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Catholic Youth Organization, Archdiocese of Newark, NJ and Bergen County, NJ
- Coach and League Director, Rutherford Recreation (20+ years)
Awards and Recognition
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell (1996– present)
- Bergen County Top Lawyer, Bergen Magazine (2019)
- Bergen’s Top Lawyers, (201) Magazine (2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Accredited Estate Planner, National Association of Estate Planners & Councils (2011)
- Sesquicentennial Award, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark, N.J. (2010)