William practices in the areas of health care law and elder law. He represents a wide range of clients from private individuals, to individual and institutional health care providers, to governmental and quasi-governmental entities. He advises health care providers on licensing and regulatory matters, both State and Federal, as well as compliance and business/practice matters. He has successfully represented physicians, nurses, and other licensed professionals before the State professional licensing boards, and a variety of Federal agencies, and new graduates before the United States Medical Licensing Examination. He has represented institutional providers in a variety of licensure and regulatory matters before the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Mr. Isele counsels clients on Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse issues, including the Federal Stark laws, the State Codey laws, Federal Anti-Kickback laws, and both State and Federal False Claims laws. He has also represented physicians, hospitals and medical staffs in privileging disputes. From 1989-1991, Mr. Isele served as Chair of the NJSBA Health & Hospital Law Section.
As the former New Jersey Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly (1999-2007), William is a recognized authority on issues of long-term care and elder abuse. He regularly advises clients on retirement and end-of-life planning, and counsels institutional providers with regard to complex and often controversial care issues. He has drafted policies and procedures to address issues such as disruptive patients, criminal background investigations of nursing home applicants, and involuntary discharge from long-term care. In addition, he has served as an expert witness in matters relating to care issues in nursing homes, and fiduciary obligations of attorneys serving as attorneys-in-fact. William has been appointed as court-appointed attorney, guardian, and conservator in many matters, and has appeared in litigated matters in Chancery and Surrogate courts throughout New Jersey. He also regularly interacts with the New Jersey Medicaid program on behalf of both individuals and institutions, and has represented clients before the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law. Mr. Isele served as the 2012-2013 Chair of the NJSBA’s Elder & Disability Law Section.
William is well-versed in general equity-related disputes and litigation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts in litigation involving claims ranging from contested guardianships to civil rights disputes, and has served as outside counsel to a state agency in litigated matters.
- Served as patient care ombudsman for a North Jersey hospital under Section 333(a)(1) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Served as an expert witness in a Section 10(j) proceeding involving reinstatement of nurses in a health care facility.
- Represented hospital in first reported AIDS dementia case in New Jersey.
- Represented independent State Agency in Medicaid litigation with facilities.
Professional and Community Involvement
- New Jersey Supreme Court, District VIII Fee Arbitration Committee; Secretary (1994-present ); District VII Fee Arbitration Committee; Secretary (2015-present)
- New Jersey Roster of Mediators for Civil, General Equity and Probate Cases (2008-present)
- American Bar Association; Section of Administrative Law (Vice Chair, Health Committee, 1991); Health Law Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association; General Council (1988-93; 1994-95; 2011-present); Health & Hospital Law Section (1st Vice Chair 1988-89; Chair 1989-91; Legislative Liaison 2009-present);Elder Law Section (Co-Legislative Liaison 2009-2012; Chair 2013-2014)
- Middlesex County Bar Association (Board of Trustees 2009-present); President (2017-2018); Chancery Practice Committee Early Settlement Panel (1986-1999, 2009-present); Elder Law Committee
- Middlesex County Bar Foundation (Board of Trustees 2008-present; President (2014-2015); Treasurer (2011-2012)
- American Health Lawyers Association; Alternate Dispute Resolution Service (1992-2001)
- Catholic Lawyers Guild, Diocese of Metuchen; Board Of Trustees (1988-91)
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- AMA Employees Credit Union, Board of Directors (1977-81), Vice Chairman (1978-80), Chairman (1981)
- AMA Task Force on Risk Management
- Board of Health, Milltown, New Jersey (1988-92)
- Municipal Advisory Committee, Milltown, New Jersey (1988-95)
- Municipal Ethics Board, Milltown, New Jersey (2008-present)
- Joyce Kilmer District, Thomas A. Edison Council, BSA: Advancement Chairman, District Committee (1991-1997)
- Catholic Committee on Scouting, Diocese of Metuchen: Chairman (1992-1995)
- Office of the Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly Ethics Advisory Committee (1995 -1998)
- New Jersey Hospice and Palliative Care Association. Ethics Committee (2008-2016)
- Princeton Senior Resource Center, Board of Trustees (2009-2013; President 2011-2012)
- New Jersey Hospice & Palliative Care Organization, Board of Trustees (2011-2016)
- Central Jersey Legal Services, Board of Trustees (2014-present)
- LeadingAge New Jersey, Board of Trustees (2016-present)