Mr. Ryan is the Chair of the firm’s Construction and Real Estate Litigation Group.
He devotes a substantial part of his practice to construction and real estate litigation including complex construction defect claims, architectural and engineering professional negligence claims, payment disputes and lien claims.
He has represented a wide variety of clients including national, regional and local residential developers, engineering firms, public entities, and owners in a variety of construction related disputes. Through this experience, Mr. Ryan has worked with and advised his clients on issues related to insurance and risk transfer strategies. In addition, Mr. Ryan has developed extensive experience in litigating and resolving disputes arising out of the transition of planned residential communities from developers to homeowner and condominium associations.
- Successfully represented multiple national home builders in connection with homeowner association claims of defective construction of exterior claddings, roofs, site improvements and underfunding of capital reserves.
- Successfully represented national home builder in connection with homeowner claims of defective firewalls.
- Successfully represented engineering firm in connection with alleged deficient HVAC design for large public project.
- Successfully represented national home builder in connection with claims of community flooding due to allegedly deficient design and construction.
- Represented national transportation company in successful defense of lien claims filed by subcontractors in construction of tank wash facility.
- Successfully represented public improvement authority in prosecution of claim of deficient design and construction of nursing home facility.
- Successfully represented refinery in connection with litigation regarding alleged improper packing and transportation of hazardous waste.
Professional And Community Involvement
- Member of the American, New Jersey and Camden County Bar Associations
- Member of the Cherry Hill Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Executive Committee for the Boston University School of Law Alumni Association
- Medford Township youth soccer coach
Awards And Recognition
- Named a “Rising Star” in the field of Construction Litigation by New Jersey Monthly Magazine in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Named “Best of South Jersey” in Construction Law by South Jersey Magazine, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Voted ‘Top Attorney’ in the field of Construction by SJ Magazine, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Mr. Ryan has authored various articles and other written materials on construction law and has lectured to a variety of audiences on construction law matters. Such publications include:
- NJ Passes on the Integrated Product Doctrine in Construction Defect Cases(Reprinted with permission from the January 31, 2011 edition of New Jersey Law Journal. © 2010 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All rights reserved. Further duplication without permission is prohibited.) By: William L. Ryan, Esq.
- The Affidavit of Merit Statute and the Entire Controversy Doctrine are Perfect Together in Highland Lakes(Reprinted in the Construction Law Section Newsletter of the New Jersey State Bar Association). By William L. Ryan, Esq.
- State Courts Trend: Coverage For Faulty Workmanship ABA Construction Journal, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 1, 17-22 (Spring 2008) by: Ellis I. Medoway, William L. Ryan and Benjamin D. Morgan
- November 2, 2006 – Lecturer – Fundamentals of Construction Law presented by the Forum of the Construction Industry American Bar Association
- January 11, 2006 – Lecturer – Averting Chaos on the Job Site: Proactively Understanding the Components of a Good Contract presented by National Business Institute
- Co-Author of “The Affidavit/Certificate of Merit Requirement: Avoiding Potential Pitfalls – The American Bar Association’s Construction Litigation publication Construct! Summer 2005
- July 11, 2004 – Lecturer – Advanced Construction Law in New Jersey presented by National Business Institute