Tyler J. Wicks is an associate in the Business Litigation Group. Tyler is experienced in contract, business, and employment disputes before state and federal courts in California, New York, and New Jersey.
Prior to relocating to New Jersey, Tyler represented a variety of individuals and institutions in contract, real property, and probate litigation in Northern California.
Tyler has broad business experience, which together with his extensive legal education and diverse practice experience, afford him both unusual insights into commercial matters and confidence in the development and argument of creative solutions.
Tyler earned his first J.D. from Monterey College of Law in California, where he was a Teaching Fellow, Heisler Moot Court finalist, and graduated first in his class. Tyler earned his second J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude.
During his time at Seton Hall, Tyler was an Associate Editor for the Seton Hall Law Review, and served as a Student Attorney in clinical programs, appearing before the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, and the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Tyler is originally from the Gold Coast, Australia, where he worked as an accountant prior to his relocation to the United States.
- Successfully represented IT consulting company in non-competition & non-solicitation action against former employee. (Middlesex, New Jersey)
- Successfully recovered unpaid debt on behalf of IT staffing company against its former customer. (Bergen, New Jersey)
- Successfully recovered unpaid debt on behalf of IT staffing company against its former customer. (Middlesex, New Jersey)
- Successfully resolved a breach of contract action on behalf of a large hotel operator brought by a national textiles company. (Camden, New Jersey)
- Successfully resolved a Title VII race discrimination action against a national real estate investment trust. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Successfully resolved an Americans with Disabilities Act and wrongful termination action against a large state-run entity. (D.N.J.)
- Successfully represented Plaintiffs’ in an action against former landlords for breach of contract, maintaining a nuisance, unlawfully renting an uninhabitable premise, unlawful retention of security deposit, and numerous statutory violations. (Monterey, California)
- Represented Petitioner in a challenge to his appointment as Administrator of his late father’s estate and brought a Petition to reverse the transfer of the late father’s real property, based upon a grant deed signed while the father was incompetent, and asserted claims for the fraudulent transfer of real property, elder abuse, injunctive relief, and an accounting. (San Francisco, California) Represented the Successor Trustee and successfully argued for termination of a trust amendment executed by the Trustor while incompetent, which provided full authority to a third party over the trust corpus. (Santa Clara, California)Successfully recovered unpaid debt on behalf of IT staffing company against its former customer. (Middlesex, New Jersey)
- Assisted in successfully defending a breach of contract claim by the assignee of a junior secured note and recipient of an allonge after a foreclosure failed to satisfy the debt. (Santa Clara, California) Successfully represented Plaintiffs to obtain a utility easement over a neighboring parcel of real property and enforce certain contractual rights between the parties. (Santa Clara, California)
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- West Publishing Company, Outstanding Academic Achievement Award (2016)