Richard Gilly is a member of Archer’s Intellectual Property Practice Group and chairs the firm’s Patent Department. As a registered patent attorney, Richard advises both established and emerging businesses on strategic patent, trademark, and copyright portfolio development. As an intellectual property litigator, he also regularly serves as the lead attorney and lead patent counsel in commercial litigations involving intellectual property rights. Richard also advises on licensing, technology and other transactions involving Intellectual Property, as well as the acquisition of patents, trademarks and copyrights.
Richard has represented a wide range of diverse clients, including computer and electronic device makers, telecom and cable companies, biomedical device manufacturers, semiconductor equipment manufacturers, green tech companies, financial institutions, clothing and toy manufacturers, gaming industry clients, automotive companies, industrial equipment developers, and media and entertainment companies. His roster of representations includes well-known Fortune 100 high-technology companies.
Previously in his career, Richard served as in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 company. During that time, he regularly negotiated agreements for research, development, supply and manufacturing, including associated intellectual property rights, and advised executives on compliance with international transaction regulations, export controls, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Intellectual Property Section
- International Federation of IP Attorneys, Software Patent Committee (2007-Present)
- French-American Chamber of Commerce (1998-Present)
- Medical Device Manufacturers Association
Articles and Presentations
- “Big or Small, Targets One and All: Anti-Money Laundering Exposure for Companies and Individuals,” Bloomberg BNA White Collar Crime Report (March, 2016)
- After the Dust has Settled: AIA’s PGR Proceeding & What it Means for Medical Device Manufacturers, Medical Device Manufacturers Association (October 2012)
- Weathering the Storm: Patents in the Cloud, Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Lab Colloquium Series (January 2012)
- “In-House Lessons on Standard-Essential Patents from the Smartphone Battles,” Corporate Counsel (December 2012)
- “Patent Issues In the Cloud,” Co-Author, BNA Patents, Trademark, and Copyright Journal, (November 2011)
- “Supreme Court’s Quanta Decision Clarifies the Reach of Patent Exhaustion,” Co-Author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal (September 2008)