Nicole G. McDonough represents clients located throughout the country and internationally in complex commercial litigation matters before the state, federal, appellate, and bankruptcy courts of New Jersey and New York. She has a vast array of experience prosecuting and defending claims in all stages of the litigation process. Nicole’s practice focuses on intellectual property disputes related to trademark and copyright infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, and rights of publicity. She also has significant experience litigating contract matters and business torts. Nicole counsels clients in myriad industries, including the information technology, pharmaceutical, real estate, high-end clothing, designer furniture, jewelry, financial services, medical, beverage, restaurant, and automobile industries.
Keenly aware of the time and expense associated with litigation, Nicole listens to her clients’ needs and works as their problem-solver to formulate a strategic approach to achieving their business and financial goals. Nicole is well-versed in e-discovery and evolving data management practices in order to provide economical solutions to the challenges faced by businesses in today’s data intensive environment.
Nicole earned her J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law, where she was honored as a Dean Scholar. While in law school, Nicole served as a judicial intern to the Hon. William J. Martini, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey. Nicole was also a member of Seton Hall’s Interscholastic Moot Court Board, where she received advocacy and writing honors in multiple national competitions. She enjoys giving back to students interested in the practice of law by serving as the Bergen County coordinator for the Vincent J. Apruzzese High School Mock Trial Competition.
- Favorably resolving a trademark and trade dress infringement matter pending in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey related to client’s creation and marketing of its relaxation beverage.
- Prevailing on summary judgment to defeat a business competitor’s tortious interference and conspiracy claims, which were brought following our client’s desired relocation of its automotive business.
- Successfully prosecuting a trademark infringement claim pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York on behalf of a designer furniture manufacturer, asserting violations of the Lanham Act and Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- Prevailing on summary judgment to remove holdover commercial tenant from valuable SoHo retail premises, which decision was affirmed on appeal by the New York Appellate Division, First Department.
- Prevailing before the New Jersey Appellate Division to reinstate client’s complaint after improper dismissal and violation of due process rights In re Adoption of Child ex rel. M.E.B., 444 N.J. Super. 83 (App. Div. 2016).
Professional & Community Involvement
- Trustee, Bergen County Bar Association
- Past President, Young Lawyers Division of the Bergen County Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Chair of Sponsorship, Women Lawyers in Bergen
- County Coordinator, New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s Vincent J. Apruzzese High School Mock Trial Competition
Awards & Recognition
- New Jersey Super Lawyers has recognized Nicole as a “Rising Star” annually, since 2014.
Articles & Presentations
- Celebrities Turn to Trademark Law for Brand Protection, New Jersey Law Journal April 15, 2015
- Ask A Lawyer: What do Employers Need to Know About the Upheld Health Care Law?, The Record August 5, 2012
- Ask A Lawyer: A Trademark Is Protection – Use It, The Record November 5, 2009
- Ask a Lawyer: Is a Handshake Deal Enforceable?, The Bergen Record January 20, 2009
- Intellectual Property 101 – Uncovering Your IP Assets: IP Webinar, Hackensack, New Jersey, September 21, 2016
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property, New Jersey Law Center, June 14, 2012