Michael focuses his practice in the area of commercial litigation in New Jersey and New York state and federal courts. He handles a variety of matters including contract disputes, breaches of employment agreements and restrictive covenants, consumer fraud claims and shareholder disputes. Michael has represented clients in the areas of insurance coverage, professional malpractice and employment law, and also has extensive experience litigating landlord/tenant matters, both commercial and residential. Michael has successfully briefed and argued appellate matters before the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court.
Michael received his law degree from New York Law School, where he served as an Executive Board Member of the Moot Court Association and President of the International Law Society. Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Forino was introduced into the Order of Barristers, ranking in the top 10 in his class in the areas of appellate advocacy and brief writing. Following law school, Michael served as law clerk to the Honorable Roger W. Daley, J.S.C. (Ret.) in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Middlesex County.
Examples of litigation matters that Michael has handled include:
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of medical transportation company on its claims against former employees for unfair competition and tortious interference.
- Represented information technology staffing companies in disputes concerning non-compete covenants; obtained favorable settlements for clients at mediation.
- Represented engineering company in complex dispute over the purchase of business; obtained favorable judgment at arbitration.
- Obtained temporary restraints on behalf of oppressed restaurant business owner.
- Successfully tried cases involving commercial and residential landlord/tenant disputes.
- Obtained an award of attorney’s fees and costs and favorable settlement for client in dispute concerning management of movie theater business.
- Represented international jewelry retailer in dispute concerning copyright and trade dress infringement claims.
- Counseled businesses in internet defamation matters.
- Successfully argued an appeal on behalf of a commercial landlord in case concerning post-judgment remedies available to tenants in summary dispossess proceedings (CCM Co., L.P. v. Tselentakis, Docket No. A-0937-10T2, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division (2011)).
- Successfully litigated a declaratory judgment action on behalf of an insurance carrier in dispute regarding a plaintiff’s claim for insurance coverage based on “penalties” imposed by the IRS (William B. Kessler Mem’l Hosp., Inc. v. North River Ins. Co., Docket No. A-2201-12T3, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division (2013)).
Professional And Community Involvement
- Advocati Christi Catholic Lawyers Fellowship; Founding Fellow
- Somerset County Business Partnership, Member
Awards And Recognition
- Named as one of the Rising Stars in New Jersey’s Top Attorneys Listing (New Jersey Monthly – Super Lawyers), 2017
- Graduate and Barrister of the Brennan-Vanderbilt Inn of Court
- Order of Barristers