Mike concentrates his practice in the areas of land use planning and zoning, environmental permitting, and regulatory compliance at all governmental levels. He regularly appears before municipal planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment, governing bodies, county boards, and regional agencies and authorities in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. He has significant experience representing residential, commercial, and industrial property owners and developers in all phases of development and redevelopment projects. Among other things, Mike has worked on land use matters involving large-scale residential subdivisions, affordable housing projects, retail centers, mixed-use projects, industrial parks, manufacturing facilities, warehouse and distribution facilities, fulfillment centers, electric generation facilities, natural gas pipelines, electric transmission lines and renewable energy projects. He regularly counsels clients on environmental permitting issues and compliance, as well as title insurance. Mike has also worked on the creation and administration of Planned Real Estate Development Full Disclosure Act registrations with respect to numerous residential projects in New Jersey. Mike also advises clients on Validity Challenges and Curative Amendments in Pennsylvania.
Mike regularly coordinates with Archer Public Affairs to provide clients with full-service government and regulatory affairs advice and advocacy, on a variety of land use and real estate matters, so that clients can achieve their business objectives. This advice and coordination includes advising a variety of businesses, such as retailers, processors, and growers, on the intricacies of medical marijuana legalization, including strategic planning, land use, zoning and municipal law.
Prior to attending law school, Mike spent three years as an Admission Counselor and Assistant Dean of Admission at Colgate University. He also spent two years as a Sales Engineer with AMP and later Tyco Electronics, where he focused on sales and marketing primarily with communication equipment designers, manufacturers and subcontractors, as well as the creation of distribution and consignment programs.
- Key member of legal team that successfully obtained permits and approvals for a 750MW electrical power generation facility, and lead attorney on title review for project.
- Extensive experience representing publicly traded and private companies regarding permitting and land acquisition for interstate and intrastate pipelines.
- Extensive experience representing publicly traded and private companies in connection with large-scale warehouses, distribution centers, and fulfillment facilities.
- Successfully obtained major site plan and variance approvals on behalf of several national and international food processing companies in connection with the expansion of their manufacturing and distribution facilities.
- Successfully obtained multiple variance approvals in connection with the expansions of several nationally-recognized hospitals and research centers.
- Successfully represented industrial property owners in challenging the inclusion of their properties in a redevelopment area and plan.
- Registered applications and amendments with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs on behalf of a regional home builder in connection with a 1,000 + unit residential development.
- Successfully obtained numerous land use approvals on behalf of a non-profit organization in connection with the development of group homes and mental health facilities.
- Representation of the named redeveloper in connection with a 270-unit affordable housing project, including negotiation of the Redevelopment Agreement and obtaining all permits and approvals.
- Extensive experience in counseling clients and obtaining permits and approvals for what are often controversial land use projects and uses, such as billboards, solar farms, group homes, addiction facilities, and other projects and uses that involve neighborhood and/or political opposition.
Professional And Community Involvement
Current Professional Organization Membership
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- NAIOP (Commercial Real Estate Development Association)
Community Involvement and Related Activities
- Board of Directors: Camden County Habitat for Humanity
- Board of Directors: New Jersey Apartment Association
- Board of Directors: My Father’s House
- Chairman: Colgate University Alumni Admission Program (Philadelphia Region)
- Vice Chairman: Board of Directors: New York Zeta Fund
- Member: Salem County Sportsmen’s Club
- Member: The Union League of Philadelphia
Articles and Presentations
- “Legalization of Marijuana in New Jersey: Facility, Financial & Human Resource Aspects”, BCSJ, March 15, 2019
- “Over the River and Through the Woods: Exploring Differences Between PA and NJ Real Estate Law”, Camden County Bar Association, February 13, 2019