Mike delivers strategic advice and representation on a broad range of matters in the areas of land use planning and zoning, environmental permitting, and regulatory compliance at all governmental levels. He acts for a broad range of industrial, commercial, and residential property owners and developers in all phases of development and redevelopment projects, including brownfields and adaptive reuse projects. A seasoned and trusted advocate, he regularly appears on behalf of his clients before municipal planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment, governing bodies, county boards, and regional agencies and authorities throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Clients rely on Mike for his deep experience and insight, and appreciate how he “quarterbacks” projects from start to finish. In his representation, he coordinates and guides the project team, including the applicant, engineers, architects, planners, and environmental consultants, from inception through final approvals and commencement of construction. Throughout the process, he negotiates with senior municipal staff, government agencies and land owners; prepares and submits land use planning applications and provides strategic direction on the approval process; provides legal opinions on a broad range of municipal issues, zoning by-laws and land use policies; prepares land use planning instruments; and negotiates municipal and development agreements.
Mike’s edge as a land use lawyer comes from his previously working in the private business sector, and having also started small businesses, so he understands his clients concerns regarding entitlements and government bureaucracy. He has represented clients in, among other areas, land use matters involving entitlements for industrial parks; large-scale warehouse/distribution facilities; e-commerce fulfillment centers; affordable housing projects; retail centers; mixed-use projects; manufacturing facilities; electric generation facilities; natural gas pipelines, electric transmission lines and renewable energy projects.
He also has extensive experience in counseling clients and obtaining permits and approvals for what are often controversial land use projects and uses, such as billboards, solar farms, group homes, addiction facilities, and other projects and uses that involve neighborhood and/or political opposition.
In coordination with Archer Public Affairs, Mike provides clients with full-service government and regulatory affairs advice and advocacy on a variety of land use and real estate matters helping clients to achieve their business objectives.
- Lead attorney in obtaining entitlements related to the adaptive reuse of a failed department store with a new healthcare facility.
- Key member of legal team in obtaining entitlements for an off-shore wind energy generation facility, and lead attorney on title review for project.
- Key member of legal team that successfully obtained permits and approvals for a 750MW electrical power generation facility, and lead attorney on title review for project.
- Successfully represented national developers in obtaining entitlements for two new industrial parks totaling approximately 5,000,000 square feet of industrial space.
- Lead attorney in obtaining entitlements for an approximately 600,000 square foot e-commerce facility, which included negotiating redevelopment and financial agreements, and easements for off-tract improvements.
- Successfully obtained major site plan and variance approvals on behalf of several national and international food processing and cold storage companies in connection with the expansion of their manufacturing and distribution facilities.
- Successfully obtained entitlements on behalf of redeveloper in connection with a several hundred unit affordable housing project.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, Cross County Connection Transportation Management Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- NAIOP/Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- Board of Directors, Camden County Habitat for Humanity
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee, New Jersey Apartment Association
- Board of Directors, My Father’s House
- Vice Chairman, Board of Directors, New York Zeta Fund
- Member, The Union League of Philadelphia
- Member, Riverton Country Club
- Member, Salem County Sportsmen’s Club
- Colgate University Alumni Admission Program
- Zoning Compliance Tips For NJ Medical Marijuana Facilities,“ Law360 (October 2019)
Past Speaking Engagements and Seminars
- “Legal Trends in Land Use Law,” New Jersey Builders Association, Atlantic Builders Convention (March 2023)
- “Changing Places: The Tips and Traps of Converting Existing Projects to a Different and New Use,” American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law, 2023 Midwinter Meeting (San Juan, Puerto Rico, February 2023)
- “Legalization of Marijuana in New Jersey: Facility, Financial & Human Resource Aspects”, Businesses Committed to South Jersey (March 2019)
- “Over the River and Through the Woods: Exploring Differences Between PA and NJ Real Estate Law,” Camden County Bar Association (February 2019)