Maureen specializes in complex civil litigation with an emphasis on contract disputes, environmental, and condemnation/eminent domain matters. She currently devotes a substantial part of her practice to defending multi-party cost recovery/contribution actions, toxic tort lawsuits, and contractual disputes over environmental liabilities. Maureen defends clients in enforcement actions under a variety of federal and state environmental statutes, including CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Water Act and New Jersey’s Spill Compensation and Control Act.
Maureen also represents clients with respect to the condemnation of property through eminent domain in federal and state court. She represents condemning authorities acquiring property, as well as assisting property owners to ensure that they receive maximum value for their properties. She has particular experience using eminent domain to acquire land for large utility, transportation, and urban redevelopment projects.
Prior to joining Archer, Maureen served as a law clerk to the Honorable Renée Marie Bumb, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey (2009-2011), where she gained valuable insight into federal court practice and procedure. Maureen also served as law clerk to the Honorable George L. Seltzer, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division (Ret.) (2006-2007), gaining experience in New Jersey law and appellate procedure.
During her time at Rutgers School of Law – Camden, Maureen served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Joseph E. Irenas, Senior United District Judge for the District of New Jersey, and completed internships with the Honorable Gloria M. Burns, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey.
- Representing pipeline company in condemnation proceedings pursuant to the Natural Gas Act
- Representing transportation authority in condemnation proceedings for large improvement project
- Litigating all aspects of condemnation proceedings, including through commissioner hearings and trials de novo regarding property valuation
- Represented governmental authority in condemnation proceedings pursuant to the New Jersey Urban Redevelopment Act and the Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act involving numerous properties for large-scale urban redevelopment project
- Litigated complex environmental matters filed pursuant to CERCLA, RCRA, Clean Water Act, and the New Jersey Spill Compensation and Control Act
- Managed multi-party discovery and handled all aspects of motion practice in complex suits
- Enforced obligations owed to clients under environmental indemnity agreements
- Achieved summary judgment for corporation litigating breach of contract claims
Professional And Community Involvement
- Editor, New Jersey State Bar Association Federal Practice and Procedure Section Newsletter
- Member, National Heath Council Quality Patient Advisory Committee
- Member, Young Athletes Parent Advisory Committee for Special Olympics New Jersey
- Member, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Member, Camden County Bar Association
- Writing Mentor, Philadelphia Diversity Law Group Fellows Program
Awards And Recognition
Awarded the Pro Bono Publico Award from Rutgers School of Law – Camden upon graduation for volunteer work with the Rutgers Pro Bono Bankruptcy Project and as a mediator for the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- “NJ Takes PennEast Pipeline Land Grab Fight To 3rd Circ.” Law360 Article, January 14, 2019.
- “PennEast Can Take NJ Land For $1B Pipeline, Judge Says” Law360 Article, December 14, 2018.
- “PennEast Needs NJ Land For $1B Pipeline, Judge Told” Law360 Article, April 5, 2018.
- “An Interview with the Honorable John Michael Vazquez, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey.” Published in the New Jersey State Bar Association Federal Practice and Procedure Section, January 2017.
- Attorneys’ Guide to Local Government Law – Eminent Domain Actions” Presented for the National Business Institute in Newark, NJ on December 19, 2016.
- “Cost-Effective Urban Redevelopment – Using the Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act” Presented for the National Business Institute in Newark, NJ on December 10, 2015.
- “Mistaking the Fifth: No Fifth Amendment Privilege for a One-Person Corporation” Published in the New Jersey State Bar Association Federal Practice and Procedure Section Newsletter Vol. 10, No. 1/September 2015
- “An Interview with the Honorable Karen McGlashan Williams, United States Magistrate Judge” Published in the New Jersey State Bar Association Federal Practice and Procedure Section, September 2014.
- “Be Careful What You Ask For: Recent Precedent on Reviewing Arbitration Awards and the Standard Applicable to Motions to Compel Arbitration“, Published in the New Jersey State Bar Association- Federal Practice and Procedure Section Newsletter, Vol. 8, No. 1 — March 2014
- “An Interview With the Honorable Jerome B. Simandle, Chief Judge, United States District Court”, Published in the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Federal Practice and Procedure Section Newsletter, Vol. 7, No. 1, June 2013.