Matt concentrates his practice on complex environmental litigation in state and federal courts. He has considerable experience prosecuting and defending state and federal claims seeking damages relating to environmental contamination, including cleanup costs, natural resource damages and property damage. Matt has conducted and managed all phases of discovery in complex litigation and has particular experience with ESI discovery as well as taking and defending depositions.
Matt also has extensive experience advising clients on environmental regulatory matters in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and other jurisdiction, with particular experience relating to the Site Remediation Reform Act, the Licensed Site Remediation Professional program, and the Industrial Site Recovery Act in New Jersey. Matt also has significant experience advising clients on the sale and development of commercial properties, particularly properties undergoing active remediation.
Prior to joining Archer, Matt worked for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection as a Case Manager.
- Served as trial counsel in Pennsylvania for major petroleum company defending claims involving property diminution and cleanup costs, obtaining a complete defense verdict dismissing all claims against his client. Involved novel questions relating to Tank Act liability and hydrogeology
- Represents a major petroleum company in several jurisdictions defending product liability and natural resource damage claims associated with gasoline additive methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE)
- Represents an international chemical company in defense of a multi-billion dollar action filed by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for environmental cleanup costs and other damages associated with the Passaic River and the Newark Bay Complex
- Represents a major petro-chemical company in New Jersey defending and prosecuting claims involving property diminution, cleanup costs, and fraudulent conveyances
- Advising a major petro-chemical company on complex commercial transactions involving the sale of hundreds of properties
- Represents a major petroleum company in Maryland against claims for property diminution and other damages relating to the gasoline additive MTBE
Professional And Community Involvement
- Delaware Valley Environmental Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Seton Hall School of Law Circuit Review, Co-Founder; Executive Editor (2004-2006).
Awards And Recognition
- Seton Hall School of Law Presidential Scholarship Recipient (2003-2006)
- Author, “Spill Act Liability for ‘Innocent’ Owners of Contaminated Property,” New Jersey Law Journal, November 29, 2010.