Laura is a member of Archer’s Labor and Employment, Trade Secret Protection and Non-Compete, and Cannabis Law groups. She concentrates her practice on advising a wide range of clients, including small and large privately held companies and governmental and quasi-governmental entities, on all aspects of labor and employment law.
Laura has experience litigating a wide variety of cases before federal and state courts as well as administrative agencies. Specifically, Laura has handled cases involving discrimination and harassment allegations, wage and hour issues, violations of non-compete, non-solicitation, and other employment-related agreements, theft of trade secrets and other confidential information, issues pertaining to leaves of absence and disability accommodations, unfair labor practices, as well as whistleblower claims. Laura has represented clients frequently before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the District Courts of New Jersey, the Eastern and Middle District Courts of Pennsylvania, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, and the New Jersey Department of Labor.
Laura also assists in the counseling of both private and public employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. Specifically, Laura frequently reviews and drafts employer personnel policies and handbooks; counsels employers on how to comply with federal and state wage and hour law; drafts employment-related agreements; conducts workplace anti-harassment, anti-discrimination, and violence training; conducts workplace investigations; counsels employers on the security and management of their data and trade secrets; counsels employers on how to comply with federal and state leave and disability laws; counsels employers on all aspects of the hiring and termination processes; handles union negotiations in both the public and private sector; counsels employers on compliance with collective bargaining agreements and related labor laws; and counsels public entities on compliance with laws regarding budgetary matters, purchasing and procurement matters, the Civil Service Rules and Regulations, and record-keeping requirements. Further, Laura has extensive knowledge of the burgeoning law regarding employee use of social media and frequently counsels employers regarding the appropriate means of managing and responding to such use. Finally, Laura has been keenly following the new developments in Cannabis Law across the country, with a particular focus on the impact such legislation has and will have on employers, and provides counseling to employers regarding this new and developing area of law.
Laura is a frequent speaker on many labor and employment law topics and has presented at seminars and events hosted by a number of organizations and academic institutions, including the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, the Southern New Jersey Chamber of Commerce, the American Payroll Association, the Mount Laurel Business Network, the Somers Point Business Association, Jenkins Law Library, the Princeton Bar Association, Lorman Education Services, Sterling Education Services, Stockton University, and the Atlantic Cape Community College. Laura has also published several articles on topics related to labor and employment laws and litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of appeal filed in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a national, publicly held, marketing corporation.
- Obtained summary judgment in action involving violation of employment and severance agreements.
- Represented clients in hearings before the New Jersey Department of Labor in matters involving wage and hour complaints.
- Represented clients in hearings before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission in matters involving discrimination and retaliation complaints.
Professional And Community Involvement
Current Professional Organization Membership
- Sydney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court (2011 – Present)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County (N.J.) Bar Association
- Mount Laurel Business Network
- Mock Trial Coach for Bishop Eustace High School (2010-Present)
- Homeless Advocacy Project Volunteer: Pro Bono Representation of Vietnam veteran in Application for VA Benefits
Awards And Recognition
- Recognized by the Lorman Education Services for participation in their events as a professional business presenter.
- Marijuana and Drug Testing in the Workplace: Which Way Is The Smoke Blowing? – SNJ Chamber of Commerce HR Bootcamp (March 2018)
- What You Should Know About 1099s – Defending Your Independent Contractor & Wage & Hour Decisions Seminar (February 2018)
- Mastering the Dreaded Performance Review – NJBIA Promotions, Pay and Productivity Seminar (October 2017)
- Hiring Too Fast, Firing Too Slow – NJBIA Avoiding Common Employer Mistakes Seminar (June 2017)
- Best Practices for Building a Diverse Team: Overcoming Implicit Bias in the Workplace – NJBIA Women Business Leaders Network (April 2017)
- ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation Case Law and Legislative Updates – Sterling Education Interplay of Employee Benefits Seminar (April 2017)
- Job Performance & Operational Effectiveness – NJBIA HR for the 21st Century Seminar (April 2017)
- Paid Time Off: Challenging Issues for Employers – SNJ Chamber of Commerce HR Bootcamp (March 2017)
- Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap – Somers Point Business Association (February 2017)
- Now What: Policies, Procedures and Terms – NJBIA The Employee Life Cycle Seminar (January 2017)
- Tips for Defending Your First Deposition – Jenkins Law Library (November 2016)
- Effectively Executing Your Handbook , NJBIA Hands-On Handbook Clinic (November 2016)
- Social Media for Professional Business, AtlanticCape (November 2015)
- Hashtags, Ice Buckets and Twizzlers: Social Media Strategies for Nonprofits, AtlanticCape (October 2015)
- Practical Advice to Help Prepare For Defending Your First Deposition – Jenkins Law Library (July 2015)
- FLSA/ Wage and Hour Critical Issues – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- Sexual, Racial and Other Harassment in the Workplace – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Stockton University (March 2015)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Suasion Communications Group’s Social Media Workshop (February 2015)
- Telecommuting: What Are The Legal Rules? – Southern NJ Chamber of Commerce (January 2015)
- Telecommuting: What Are The Legal Rules? – Archer Labor and Employment Seminar (November 2014)
- Information Disclosure Issues – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2014)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Atlantic Cape Community College (April 2014)
- Navigate the Leave Labyrinth: Preventing Leave Abuse – New Jersey Business & Industry Association (April 2014)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Somers Point Business Association (April 2014)
- Labor and Employment Basics – Archer, P.C. In-House CLE Program (March 2014)
- Background Checks and Hiring Decisions – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (March 2014)
- The Termination Process – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (March 2014)
- Wage and Hour: Common Pitfalls and Mistakes – Southern NJ Chamber of Commerce (March 2014)
- Harassment Inside and Outside the Workplace – A&G Labor and Employment Seminar (November 2013)
- Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap – Burlington County Chamber of Commerce (October 2013)
- Classification Conundrum: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt – New Jersey Business & Industry Association (September 2013)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Mount Laurel Business Network (May 2012)
- Contingent Workers, Contractors & Employees – American Payroll Association (September 2011)
- Labor Topics – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (May 2011)
- Labor and Employment Legal Update (March 2011)
- Medical Marijuana and the Workplace – Lorman Business Center, Inc. (February 2011)
- Appellate Division Says No to Protecting Supplier List from Disclosure, Guest Column, Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey, February 2016
- Advice to Help Prepare for Defending Your First Deposition, The Legal Intelligencer, Young Lawyer Column, January 15, 2015
- Contributing Author, Understanding the Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA), Inside the Minds: Strategies for Employment Litigation, Thomson Reuters / Aspatore (2014 edition).
- Employee Can Face Criminal Charges for Theft of Documents, New Jersey Law Journal, March 2014.
- Employers Beware; A New Social Media Sheriff is in Town, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, October 2013.
- Jersey Jumps on the ‘Ban-the-Box’ Wagon, New Jersey Law Journal, May 2013.
- The $20 Million Question: Are Your Attendance and Leave Policies ADA Compliant? New Jersey State Bar Association New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, May 2012.
- Facebook and Labor Relations: A Guide for Employers, New Jersey Law Journal, December 2011.