Kerri Chewning is a trial attorney whose practice has been devoted to the defense of class actions in both state and federal court. She has almost twenty years of experience leading litigation cases from inception through to trial, including defense of complex commercial claims, civil rights claims, unfair competition and Lanham Act claims, and white collar defense. Kerri has successfully defended several proposed class actions involving claims under the Truth in Consumer Contract and Warranty Act and consumer fraud act claims in New Jersey state court. Her previous class action experience includes the successful defense of a class action in federal court asserting civil rights violations on behalf of New Jersey prisoners with Hepatitis C. More recently, Kerri has been an integral part of the litigation contingent for a multi-disciplinary team of Archer lawyers working to protect the U.S.-based financial interests of a foreign national client.
Outside of the office, Kerri plays a prominent role in the federal courts in the District of New Jersey. Kerri currently serves as the President of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey. She is also an author and co-editor for the annual New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure publication. Kerri also serves on the Lawyers’ Advisory Committee for the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. She is also a frequent presenter for CLE programs in the areas of Federal Practice, E-Discovery, Ethics & Professionalism.
Prior to joining Archer, Kerri served as a law clerk to the Honorable Garrett E. Brown, Jr., U.S.D.J. (ret.) where she gained valuable insight into federal court practice and procedure. She often serves as local counsel for cases pending in the District of New Jersey. Although Kerri is an experienced litigator, she has negotiated economical settlements for clients in a wide variety of matters. Kerri is approved by the District Court to serve as a mediator for the District of New Jersey.
- Tengood v. City of Philadelphia, Civ. No. 11-7440 (JS) (E.D. Pa. July 20, 2012) (obtained defense verdict in jury trial on federal civil RICO, civil rights and state law claims)
- Bowers, et al., v. New Century Transportation, Inc., Civ. No. 08-154 (N.D.W.V. May 18, 2009) (obtained summary judgment dismissing purported class action WARN Act claim on behalf of 100+ potential class members)
- Bennett v. Correctional Medical Services, Inc., Civ. No. 02-4993(NLH), 2008 WL 2064202 (D.N.J. May 14, 2008) (successfully defeated motion for class certification against a proposed class of 400,000 former and present inmates involving allegations of improper medical care for diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis C).
- In re Elec. Carbon Products Antitrust Litigation, 447 F. Supp. 2d 389 (D.N.J. 2006) (participated as liaison counsel in the defense of antitrust claims involving the carbon brush industry; assisted in securing court approval of class action settlement).
- Webb v. Witt, 876 A.2d 858 (N.J. Super. A.D. 2005) (successfully obtained ruling affirming dismissal of insured physician’s third-party claim against medical malpractice insurance carrier seeking to override the negotiated settlement of a malpractice claim).
- Balthazar v. Atlantic City Medical Center, 279 F. Supp. 2d 574 (D.N.J. 2003), aff’d, 137 Fed. Appx. 482, (3d Cir. 2005) (obtained the imposition of sanctions against counsel for the assertion of RICO and litigation fraud claims against physicians arising out of previously dismissed medical malpractice claims and argued successfully for the affirmance of the District Court’s dismissal of the federal claims).
Professional and Community Involvement
- President of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S.D.C. – District of New Jersey
- Treasurer, Association of the Federal Bar
- Former Past Chair, Federal Practice Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Originating Member, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Cleft Lip and Palate Support Group
- Volunteer Mock Trial Instructor, St. Paul School
Awards and Recognition
- Named Rising Star in class action litigation by New Jersey Magazine (2008 through 2015)
- Named to New Jersey Law Journal’s list of 2020 NJ Trailblazers
Presentations and Articles
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out) (December 2017)
- Co-Editor , New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure
- Contributing Author, New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure, Chapter 6 “The Complaint” (annually 2011 to present)
- Annual Panelist, Nuts and Bolts of Federal Court Practice Seminar, New Jersey ICLE (2010 – 2015)
- Presenter – Litigation Series: Federal Court Removal & Recent Amendments to the Removal Statute (December 2012)
- Qualified Immunity Treatment, Archer Client Advisory (January 2012)