Kerri Chewning is a trial attorney in the firm’s Litigation Department and is a member of the Intellectual Property Group. She has extensive experience in complex litigation in the federal and state courts of New Jersey as well as in the Third Circuit.
Much of Kerri’s practice is devoted to the defense of class actions and she was named a Rising Star in that field for the years 2008 through the present. Kerri also represents clients in intellectual property litigation and has been involved in patent litigation and the defense of indemnification claims arising from patent infringement settlements and judgments. Kerri has also litigated trademark and Lanham Act claims, unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secret claims, and has represented clients in litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also handles the defense of civil rights litigation.
Prior to joining Archer, Kerri served as a law clerk to the Honorable Garrett E. Brown, Jr., U.S.D.J. (ret.) where she gained valuable insight into federal court practice and procedure. She often serves as local counsel for cases pending in the District of New Jersey. Although Kerri is an experienced litigator, she has negotiated economical settlements for clients in a wide variety of matters. Kerri is approved by the District Court to serve as a mediator for the District of New Jersey.
Kerri has tried several cases to verdict, including a successful defense verdict on federal civil rights claims alleging inadequate medical care for hepatitis C in New Jersey State Prisons. Other representative cases include:
- Tengood v. City of Philadelphia, Civ. No. 11-7440 (JS) (E.D. Pa. July 20, 2012) (obtained defense verdict in jury trial on federal civil RICO, civil rights and state law claims)
- Bowers, et al., v. New Century Transportation, Inc., Civ. No. 08-154 (N.D.W.V. May 18, 2009) (obtained summary judgment dismissing purported class action WARN Act claim on behalf of 100+ potential class members)
- Bennett v. Correctional Medical Services, Inc., Civ. No. 02-4993(NLH), 2008 WL 2064202 (D.N.J. May 14, 2008) (successfully defeated motion for class certification against a proposed class of 400,000 former and present inmates involving allegations of improper medical care for diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis C).
- In re Elec. Carbon Products Antitrust Litigation, 447 F. Supp. 2d 389 (D.N.J. 2006) (participated as liaison counsel in the defense of antitrust claims involving the carbon brush industry; assisted in securing court approval of class action settlement).
- Webb v. Witt, 876 A.2d 858 (N.J. Super. A.D. 2005) (successfully obtained ruling affirming dismissal of insured physician’s third-party claim against medical malpractice insurance carrier seeking to override the negotiated settlement of a malpractice claim).
- Balthazar v. Atlantic City Medical Center, 279 F. Supp. 2d 574 (D.N.J. 2003), aff’d, 137 Fed. Appx. 482, (3d Cir. 2005) (obtained the imposition of sanctions against counsel for the assertion of RICO and litigation fraud claims against physicians arising out of previously dismissed medical malpractice claims and argued successfully for the affirmance of the District Court’s dismissal of the federal claims).
Professional And Community Involvement
- Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S.D.C. – District of New Jersey
- Association of the Federal Bar – Treasurer
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Immediate Past Chair, Federal Practice Section
- Originating Member Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Cleft Lip and Palate Support Group
- St. Paul School – Volunteer Mock Trial Instructor
Awards And Recognition
Named Rising Star in class action litigation by New Jersey Magazine each year for 2008 through 2015
Presentations & Articles
- How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out) (December 2017)
- Co-Editor – New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure
- Contributing Author – New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure, Chapter 6 “The Complaint” (annually 2011 to present)
- Annual Panelist – Nuts and Bolts of Federal Court Practice Seminar – New Jersey ICLE (2010 – 2015)
- Frequent Presenter CLE programs on Federal Practice, E-Discovery, Ethics & Professionalism.
- Presenter – Litigation Series: Federal Court Removal & Recent Amendments to the
- Removal Statute (December 2012)
- Client Alert, January 2012 – Qualified Immunity Treatment