Jeff is Chair of the firm’s White Collar Defense and Corporate Compliance Group. Jeff is highly recognized for his work on police and law enforcement practice and procedure. Jeff began his legal career as a Special Assistant United States Attorney in and for the District of Columbia. He served as an Assistant District Attorney and as Senior Supervising District Attorney, Major Felony Trials Unit in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After his time in the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office, Jeff was lead counsel to the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police for 14 years, involved in the daily defense of the rank and file officers on innumerable civil and alleged criminal matters, including federal civil rights defenses and allegations of conspiracy and 1983 violations.
Jeff has tried to conclusion hundreds of jury trials and thousands of bench trials, motions and other matters. Moreover, Jeff has provided counsel in government and internal investigations, agency enforcement proceedings, and in many types of civil and criminal litigation. He has represented individuals and corporations in investigations and prosecutions of alleged pharmaceutical compounding fraud brought by the federal government. He has also represented individuals and corporations in matters relating to alleged OFAC and Kingpin Act designations. In addition, he has represented individuals and corporations on allegations of FCPA violations, anti-money laundering and FCA issues. He also represented individuals and corporations on Homeland Security and I.C.E. issues and audits. He successfully handled prosecution and defense of multiple qui tam actions.
Jeff’s years of private sector and government positions, his vast knowledge of the Federal and State Court systems and administrative agencies, and the styles and procedures of the jurists and practitioners on those benches and in those posts, have earned him a national reputation as an authority in the field of white collar defense and corporate compliance. As a result, he is often called upon to provide counsel and guidance to government officials and individuals on issues relating to compliance, criminal defense, public policy, police issues, civil rights defense, employment law and other areas of litigation, employment discrimination defense matters, and medical and professional practice issues.
Often involved in bet-the-company litigation, Jeff has successfully represented many clients in complex, high-stakes criminal and civil litigation, and has provided counsel to corporations on legal compliance and compliance reviews. He counsels and defends national and international clients on issues relating to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and regularly provides advice to companies concerning Anti-Bribery and FCPA issues and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) matters. Additionally, Jeff handles matters relating to the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), alleged Campaign Finance Irregularities, Anti-Trust, False Claims Act and related defenses.
Jeff’s clients also benefit from his skill and experience in navigating complex, multijurisdictional and multinational disputes in federal and state courts at all levels. Jeff’s practice extends to the representation of clients, which include foreign nationals who face litigation under the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) and the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act (TRIA) including the garnishee and interpleader actions involving OFAC sanctions and blocked assets by the United States Department of Treasury.
- Successfully resolved anti-trust litigation filed by the Justice Department against a British/American transportation corporation.
- Represents the Philadelphia Police Commissioner and the City of Philadelphia in various labor disputes.
- Represents the Philadelphia Prison System and Prison Commissioner, and successfully resolved multiple Class Action suits alleging unconstitutional conditions of confinement arising from the practice of triple-celling of inmates within the Philadelphia Prison System.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Commissioner on the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD), as appointed by Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell, 2004; re-appointed by Governors Tom Corbett and Tom Wolf
- Former Chair, Law Enforcement and Justice Systems Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania Homeland Security
- Former Chair, Public Safety Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency
- Vice-President, Philadelphia Police Foundation Board of Directors
- Member, Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association
- Member, National Association of District Attorneys
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Association of Justice
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- Member, Board of Directors, Pinemere Camp Association – Stroudsburg and Philadelphia
- Former President and Treasurer, Board of Directors, Pinemere Camp Association – Stroudsburg and Philadelphia
- Former Member, Board of Directors, American Heart Association – Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter
- Former Member, Board of Governors, Germantown Cricket Club
- Member, Union League of Philadelphia
- Former Chief Counsel, Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police – Lodge No. 5 (1993 – 2003); Former Associate Counsel (1990 – 1993)
- Former Chief Counsel, Cheltenham Police Association
- Member, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce