Jeffrey D. Gordon is the managing partner of the firm’s Princeton Office. He is also Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Tax Appeal Group and Co-Chair of the Condemnation Group.
Mr. Gordon is a former New Jersey Tax Court law clerk to Presiding Judge Michael A. Andrew, Jr., retired, and a Certified Tax Assessor. Since completing his Tax Court clerkship, his practice has involved the handling of complex commercial and industrial tax appeals in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and other East Coast states. He advises clients about potential property tax liability for property being considered for purchase and/or development. He also handles condemnation actions and state tax matters.
Positions held by Mr. Gordon include service on the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on the Tax Court, Chair of the Tax Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, long-time Co-Chairman of the Bar’s Property Tax Subsection, Affiliate Member of the Appraisal Institute, member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bars, and a member of the Institute for Professionals in Taxation.
Mr. Gordon is a frequent author and speaker on topics related to tax appeal procedures and valuation theory. He lectures at seminars for the Institute for Professionals in Taxation and its CMI Academy, the International Association of Assessing Officers, the New Jersey County Tax Board Administrators Annual Conference, the Appraisal Institute, the Tax Executives Institute, the New Jersey League of Municipalities, Tri-County Assessor Groups, CLE International’s Eminent Domain Conference, various taxpayer groups, accountant groups, and bar associations.
Litigation involving billions of dollars of appraised valuation of the following property types:
- Commercial: office, retail, lab/R&D, apartments, condos & co-ops, hotels & conference centers, corporate headquarters, data centers, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities, malls (super-regional to strip malls), bank branches, restaurants, and self storage.
- Industrial: manufacturing, warehouse/distribution, oil refineries, astro space plant, pipelines, steel mills, power plants, industrial complexes, chemical plants, food processing, extruding plants, oil and LNG terminals, lumber mills, and pollution control equipment.
- Special: amusement parks, water parks, ski resort, Flyers skate zone, 4,000 ac. bombing range, vacant land, farmland, wetlands, cell towers, golf courses, contaminated property, mines & quarries, residential developments, redevelopment projects, ratio challenges.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chair, Tax Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Certified Tax Assessor
- Member & Sub-Committee Chair, NJ Supreme Court Committee on the Tax Court
- Executive Committee Member, Taxation Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Chair, Property Tax Subsection, New Jersey State Bar Association (2002 – 2010)
- Affiliate Member, Appraisal Institute
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- CMI Academy Speaker, Institute for Professionals in Taxation