Jason is a member of the firm’s State and Local Law Government Practice Group. Jason represents public and private sector clients in government and regulatory affairs, litigation matters, land acquisition, redevelopment, public contracting, public-private partnerships and general governance. He handles a variety of litigation matters, including those related to the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and Open Public Meetings Act, tort claims, contract disputes and claims under the Municipal Services Act.
Currently, Jason is the Borough Attorney for the Borough of Atlantic Highlands, as well as Special Counsel for the Borough of Neptune City and Special Counsel for the Township of Wall. He has also represented the County of Monmouth and the Township of Middletown. He is also an elected member of the Shrewsbury Borough Council and serves as a Commissioner of the Two River Water Reclamation Authority, where he is Chairman of the Legal Affairs Committee. Previously, Jason sat on the Zoning Board of Adjustment for the Borough of Fair Haven.
In addition, Jason represents political parties and candidates for public office in matters related to elections and campaign finance at the federal, state and local levels. He currently serves as in-state counsel for a national political party and has represented numerous political organizations and candidates in matters related to ballot position, election day issues, recounts and election contests.
Prior to joining Archer, Jason was an attorney at the Monmouth County-based law firm Cutolo Barros, where he represented public entities and private residential communities as plenary counsel and handled insurance defense litigation. Jason has lectured for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Community Associations Institute, and the Monmouth Bar Association.
Jason has been a member of the Monmouth Bar Association since 2012 where he has served on several committees. Following law school, Jason served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Linda Grasso Jones in the Superior Court of New Jersey in Freehold, NJ.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of OPRA denial of access complaint filed against municipal client after discovering and revealing that the party making the records request was a sham entity created by an attorney for purposes of making fee applications against municipal governments.
- Successfully obtained judgment in a Chancery action on behalf of a client running for public office which ordered the return of political contributions to the client that were held in an account under the control of a political rival.
- Successfully defended multiple election recount applications, including a recount filed in an election involving over 30,000 paper ballots in a high-stakes municipal race.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a condominium association in a case involving claims of water intrusion where the plaintiffs failed to offer an expert opinion establishing a standard of care.
- Successfully defended an appeal affirming a grant of summary judgment in client’s favor on statute of limitations grounds in an action filed by a condominium unit owner against the condominium association which, among other things, alleged property damage claims.
Professional and Community Involvement
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, Jersey Shore Partnership
- Member, Amerigo Vespucci Society
- Volunteer Judge, Vincent J. Apruzzese High School Mock Trial Competition
- Former Trustee, Legal Aid Society of Monmouth County