Gordon has practiced exclusively as a tax attorney throughout his career. He joined Archer in 1985 and has chaired the firm’s tax practice ever since.
He advises clients, accountants and attorneys everyday on a very wide variety of tax issues, including:
- All tax aspects of acquiring or selling a business, real estate or other significant asset
- Choosing the appropriate entity to minimize taxes
- Conversions from one form of entity to another
- S corporation and limited liability company issues
- Partnership allocations
- Federal and state tax audits, administrative appeals and litigation
- Like kind exchanges of property
- Cancellation of indebtedness
- Spin-offs, mergers and other tax-free reorganizations
- 100% penalty investigations
- Tax-free bond financings
- New Jersey non-resident status
- Tax consequences associated with divorce and separation
- Tax issues arising in the settlement litigation claims
- New Jersey income and sales tax issues
Having served for a number of years as a trial attorney with the Internal Revenue Service and having represented clients in audits, administrative appeals, litigation in the United States Tax Court and collection matters for 40 years, Gordon is well-versed in IRS and New Jersey tax policies and procedures and the settlement, appeal and litigation of tax controversies.
- Advised with respect to the tax issues involved in the establishment, operation, sale and acquisition of companies involved in such diverse areas as the sleep care, telecommunications management, real estate development, flooring manufacturing, logistics and the rental equipment leasing industries
- Drafted and negotiated complex waterfall and tax allocation provisions in numerous limited liability company operating agreements
- Advised with respect to numerous cancellation of indebtedness tax issues, which arise with frequency in our current economy
- Rendered tax opinions in numerous tax-free bond financing matters
- Successfully represented real estate brokerage firm and its owner in the U.S. Tax Court with respect to significant income tax deficiencies
- Successfully resolved substantial gift tax deficiencies in a matter pending before the U.S. Tax Court
- Successfully defended, before the New Jersey Tax Court, an individual’s status as a non-resident of New Jersey
- Successfully defended individuals in responsible person tax penalty matters
Professional And Community Involvement
- In addition to being a member of the usual bar and accounting associations, Gordon has dedicated himself for many years to coaching youth sports (primarily soccer), officiating soccer games and volunteering his other “free time” to the boards or committees of Haddonfield-area soccer and swim clubs.
Awards And Recognition
- Named a “Top Attorney” by SJ Magazine (Taxation – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Gordon has lectured extensively before bar associations, accounting associations and different business groups.