Arnold D. Litt has substantial experience in diverse areas of law, including real estate law, land use law, environmental law, zoning law, banking law, and intellectual property law. Arnold is a skilled negotiator who is sensitive to detail and can handle the most complex real estate, business, or intellectual law matters with speed, efficiency and accuracy. He represents some of the largest developers, real estate companies and banking institutions in New Jersey and, through such representation, has gained expertise in all facets of real estate transaction, land use projects and financing transactions.
Arnold’s legal analysis and problem solving capabilities arise from his early background in science, a field in which he obtained a Ph.D. in organic chemistry, went on to do post graduate work and authored numerous articles and received numerous patents in his discipline. Using this experience, Arnold practiced as a patent attorney during the early and middle 1970s, gaining proficiency through his employment with Exxon Corporation in all phases of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks and copyrights.
In the 1980s, Arnold concentrated in real estate and banking law, honing his skills in these complex areas. His intuitive insight and his ability to approach problem solving in an empirical scientific manner has resulted in an expanded client base that has added to this firm’s many and varied clients.
Today, Arnold represents a number of substantial real estate developers who purchase and sell land, whether vacant or improved, who seek development approvals from governmental agencies having jurisdiction over and control of the development of property, and who seek financing for their various projects. Arnold also represents buyers and sellers of apartment buildings, as well as office buildings, industrial property, and shopping centers. His banking clients help to finance many of these transactions, and point up the synergism created by his cross-connections. He is well versed in the drafting and negotiation of complex leases for such commercial properties. He has authored numerous articles in real estate and banking law.
Real Estate and Banking Law
- Some recent matters Arnold has handled for his clients include:
- Development and leasing of a $50,000,000 shopping center in Clifton, New Jersey;
- $100,000,000 in refinancing for apartment complexes in Hackensack and Nutley, New Jersey;
- Development of Walgreen’s property in the Bronx, New York, including restructuring of selling and purchasing entities and financing of acquisition;
- Representation of several banking institutions in connection with loan acquisitions and participations totaling in the aggregate of more than $50,000,000.
- Resolution of land use issues before the planning board of the Edgewater Colony, NJ
Intellectual Property law
- Trademarking of a large international company’s clothing trademarks in more than fifteen countries.
- Licensing of Heat Exchanger patents and technology of a start-up company funded through private placement memo.
- Drafting of wind turbine patent application.
Arnold has served as a Special Master to former Federal Judge Vincent Biunno in complex patent litigation matters. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Court of the District of New Jersey and the Courts of New Jersey, New York and Texas. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Patent Bar. Prior to becoming a shareholder in this firm, Arnold was a partner in the firm Herten, Burstein, Sheridan, Cevasco, Bottinelli, Litt & Harz, LLC, and the firm of Rusch & Litt.
Arnold did his undergraduate work at Temple University. He received a Ph.D., cum laude, from Rutgers University, did post doctoral research and wrote numerous articles while a Fellow at Brandeis University, and graduated cum laude from Seton Hall University School of Law.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Arnold has been actively involved in the North Jersey Friendship House since 1995. He has served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees (2006-2007) and is presently a Trustee. Friendship House is a non-profit rehabilitation center for adults with mental health needs (including adults with autism). Its staff provides counseling, vocational planning/training and job placement opportunities.
Awards and Recognition
- Arnold’s peers have selected him to be listed as a New Jersey Super Lawyer every year since the inception of Super Lawyer status in 2005.
- Arnold is AV-rated* by Martindale-Hubbell.
- He was selected in 2012 as “Top Legal Mind” by Inside Jersey.
- Named “Bergen Top Lawyer” by (201) Magazine, 2014.
Articles and Presentations
- THE “PERFECT STORM’ REVISITED – OUTLOOK FOR COMMERCIAL LENDING IN 2010-2011 [With Nulifer DeScherer]
- The State of Commercial Real Estate Lending in the NJ/NY Metropolitan Area
- Top New Jersey Law Firms Help Innovators Protect Their Valuable Intellectual Property
- Right of First Refusal To Lease Additional Space Terminates Upon The Expiration of the Lease Term
- Client Advisory: APARTMENT BUILDINGS REMAIN “GOLD STANDARD” FOR LENDERS IN NEW JERSEY; With Year-End Tax Changes Looming, Building Owners Should Evaluate Portfolios
- Client Advisory: Flat Legal Fee Pass-Along Assessed Tenants Ruled Illegal Fee Splitting, Green vs. Morgan Properties (A-3203-10)