Laura concentrates her practice in the representation of management in all aspects of labor and employment law. She represents a wide range of clients including small and large privately held companies and governmental and quasi-governmental entities.
Laura has experience in several areas of litigation, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act, and the New Jersey and Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation laws. Laura also has experience handling general breach of contract actions and actions involving violations of non-competition and confidentiality agreements. Further, she represents clients in administrative matters including appearing before the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, and the New Jersey Department of Labor.
Laura also assists in the counseling of employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including wage and hour, prevailing wage, review of employer personnel policies and handbooks, employment at-will, and discrimination law matters. Laura has also conducted harassment investigations and provided harassment training, for both management and the general workforce. Further, she has extensive knowledge of the law regarding employee use of social media and has counseled employers regarding the appropriate means of managing and responding to such use.
Laura has provided counseling and litigation services for a number of public entities, including fire departments, police departments, and both public and quasi- public schools. She is well versed in the New Jersey fire code, the New Jersey Public School Contracts Law, and the reforms to the New Jersey public health and pension systems.
- Obtained dismissal of appeal filed in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a national, publicly held, marketing corporation.
- Obtained summary judgment in action involving violation of employment and severance agreements.
- Represented clients in hearings before the New Jersey Department of Labor in matters involving wage and hour complaints.
- Represented clients in hearings before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission in matters involving discrimination and retaliation complaints.
Professional And Community Involvement
Current Professional Organization Membership
- Sydney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court (2011 – Present)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County (N.J.) Bar Association
- Mount Laurel Business Network
- Mock Trial Coach for Bishop Eustace High School (2010-Present)
- Homeless Advocacy Project Volunteer: Pro Bono Representation of Vietnam veteran in Application for VA Benefits
Awards And Recognition
- Recognized by the Lorman Education Services for participation in their events as a professional business presenter.
- Best Practices for Building a Diverse Team: Overcoming Implicit Bias in the Workplace – NJBIA Women Business Leaders Network (April 2017)
- ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation Case Law and Legislative Updates – Sterling Education Interplay of Employee Benefits Seminar (April 2017)
- Job Performance & Operational Effectiveness – NJBIA HR for the 21st Century Seminar (April 2017)
- Paid Time Off: Challenging Issues for Employers – SNJ Chamber of Commerce HR Bootcamp (March 2017)
- Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap – Somers Point Business Association (February 2017)
- Now What: Policies, Procedures and Terms – NJBIA The Employee Life Cycle Seminar (January 2017)
- Tips for Defending Your First Deposition – Jenkins Law Library (November 2016)
- Effectively Executing Your Handbook , NJBIA Hands-On Handbook Clinic (November 2016)
- Social Media for Professional Business, AtlanticCape (November 2015)
- Hashtags, Ice Buckets and Twizzlers: Social Media Strategies for Nonprofits, AtlanticCape (October 2015)
- Practical Advice to Help Prepare For Defending Your First Deposition – Jenkins Law Library (July 2015)
- FLSA/ Wage and Hour Critical Issues – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- Sexual, Racial and Other Harassment in the Workplace – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2015)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Stockton University (March 2015)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Suasion Communications Group’s Social Media Workshop (February 2015)
- Telecommuting: What Are The Legal Rules? – Southern NJ Chamber of Commerce (January 2015)
- Telecommuting: What Are The Legal Rules? – Archer Labor and Employment Seminar (November 2014)
- Information Disclosure Issues – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (June 2014)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Atlantic Cape Community College (April 2014)
- Navigate the Leave Labyrinth: Preventing Leave Abuse – New Jersey Business & Industry Association (April 2014)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Somers Point Business Association (April 2014)
- Labor and Employment Basics – Archer, P.C. In-House CLE Program (March 2014)
- Background Checks and Hiring Decisions – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (March 2014)
- The Termination Process – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (March 2014)
- Wage and Hour: Common Pitfalls and Mistakes – Southern NJ Chamber of Commerce (March 2014)
- Harassment Inside and Outside the Workplace – A&G Labor and Employment Seminar (November 2013)
- Avoiding the Wage and Hour Trap – Burlington County Chamber of Commerce (October 2013)
- Classification Conundrum: Exempt vs. Non-Exempt – New Jersey Business & Industry Association (September 2013)
- What Employers Must Know About Social Media and Discipline – Mount Laurel Business Network (May 2012)
- Contingent Workers, Contractors & Employees – American Payroll Association (September 2011)
- Labor Topics – Sterling Education Services, Inc. (May 2011)
- Labor and Employment Legal Update (March 2011)
- Medical Marijuana and the Workplace – Lorman Business Center, Inc. (February 2011)
- Appellate Division Says No to Protecting Supplier List from Disclosure, Guest Column, Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey, February 2016
- Advice to Help Prepare for Defending Your First Deposition, The Legal Intelligencer, Young Lawyer Column, January 15, 2015
- Contributing Author, Understanding the Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA), Inside the Minds: Strategies for Employment Litigation, Thomson Reuters / Aspatore (2014 edition).
- Employee Can Face Criminal Charges for Theft of Documents, New Jersey Law Journal, March 2014.
- Employers Beware; A New Social Media Sheriff is in Town, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, October 2013.
- Jersey Jumps on the ‘Ban-the-Box’ Wagon, New Jersey Law Journal, May 2013.
- The $20 Million Question: Are Your Attendance and Leave Policies ADA Compliant? New Jersey State Bar Association New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, May 2012.
- Facebook and Labor Relations: A Guide for Employers, New Jersey Law Journal, December 2011.