Jack McDermott specializes in complex environmental litigation, products liability claims, and toxic torts. He represents companies in the petroleum, chemical and other industries facing claims for all forms of property and personal injury damages, cleanup costs, and natural resource damages. Jack has experience in all phases of litigation, with particular experience litigating technical and expert issues in complex multiparty matters, and has participated in lengthy jury trials with significant risk. He is also a member of Archer Discovery Strategies, the firm’s electronic discovery initiative.
- Defended claims brought by hundreds of residential and commercial plaintiffs relating to a gasoline spill from a service station. Consolidated jury trial lasted 6 months.
- Defended claims alleging benzene exposure resulting from LUSTs at a tire retailer. Involved novel questions of supplier liability and jury trial resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Defended manufacturer of industrial coatings against product liability claims seeking personal injuries allegedly resulting from occupational trace benzene exposures.
- Defending multi-billion dollar action brought by New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for cleanup and removal costs and damages associated with the Passaic River. Case involves complex corporate successor issues, fraudulent transfer claims, as well as complex causation questions.
- Defended claims brought in federal court under product liability theories including defective design and failure to warn relating to alleged contamination of water supplies by MTBE.
- Advised client’s in-house counsel, public affairs staff and remediation personnel during emergency response to catastrophic release of gasoline.
- Defended claims brought by hundreds of plaintiffs alleging contamination of a drinking water aquifer with MTBE and benzene. Consolidated jury trial lasted 5 months and involved testimony from more than 150 witnesses.
- Defending claims brought by state natural resource trustee alleging MTBE contamination of groundwater.
- Defended class action alleging diminution in value of residential and commercial property resulting from a historical service station release.
- During law school, Jack interned for the Honorable Robert J. Shenkin, Chester County (Pennsylvania) Court of Common Pleas.
Professional And Community Involvement
Professional Organization Membership
- American Bar Association
- 2014-2016: Chair of Energy and Natural Resources Litigation Committee, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County (N.J.) Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Coach, Cherry Hill West High School Mock Trial Team
- Coach, Haddonfield Youth Lacrosse Club
Awards And Recognition
- Each year from 2014 through 2017, selected by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star in Environmental Litigation.
- During law school, Jack won Best Brief in the 2005 Annual Reimal Moot Court Competition and was a finalist for 2004 Best First Year Brief.