Jim has extensive experience in all aspects of complex litigation, including condemnation law, natural gas and other utility law, redevelopment law, environmental law, class actions, mass torts, regulatory investigations, contract disputes, commercial litigation, and employment law. Jim has traveled throughout the country and in Europe to appear in courts, conduct discovery and depositions and perform investigations.
Jim currently devotes a substantial part of his practice to complex litigation, including condemnation law. His practice includes representation of, among other clients, large utility companies, redevelopment agencies, redevelopers and local government units in condemnation matter, defense of environmental litigations, class actions and mass torts, as well as practice before various federal and state regulatory bodies. Through his involvement in complex litigation, Jim has gained substantial experience managing multi-party discovery and handling all facets of motion practice in state and federal courts. Jim also is well versed in the use of computer resources for research of document information management and courtroom presentations.
Jim regularly advises clients on the best approaches to avoid litigation, as well as works with clients to develop strategies during litigation. In this realm, Jim often acts as liaison between clients and regulatory agencies to achieve mutually beneficial solutions to various issues.
Jim also represents clients with respect to the condemnation of property through eminent domain in federal and state court, including developing areas of law under the Natural Gas Act and the Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act. He represents condemning authorities acquiring property, as well as assisting property owners to ensure that they receive maximum value for their properties. He has particular experience using eminent domain to acquire land for large utility, transportation, and urban redevelopment projects.
Jim has represented a wide variety of clients, including national Fortune 500 companies, public entities, and individuals.
Jim lives in Marlton, New Jersey with his two daughters and son.
- Representing multiple pipeline companies in condemnation proceedings pursuant to the Natural Gas Act
- Representing transportation authority in condemnation proceedings for large improvement project
- Litigating all aspects of condemnation proceedings
- Represented governmental authority in condemnation proceedings pursuant to the New Jersey Urban Redevelopment Act and the Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act involving numerous properties for large-scale urban redevelopment project
- Represented developer in challenge to registration fees for properties subject to foreclosure
- Represented a large former manufacturer through trial in a mass toxic tort action alleging toxic exposure to lead due to a former smelter
- Represented several entities in a class action involving exposure to a variety of toxic chemicals in drinking water
- Represented a large telecommunications company in investigating and litigating claims that several companies were trafficking in counterfeit products bearing the company’s trademarks
- Represented a manufacturer in a CERCLA action against other manufacturers to recover costs related to a residential cleanup
- Represented manufacturer in dispute claiming breach of requirements contract
- Represented several companies in defending cost recovery action related to remediation of a landfill
- Represented various companies in negotiating remediation agreements with federal and state agencies
- Defended public entity against claim of failure to provide adequate security at a public transportation depot
- Argued Juvenile Notification Law case before the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Represented public entities in condemnation proceedings
- Defended various companies in asbestos suits
Professional And Community Involvement
- Vice Chair of Lakeview Child Centers.
- Quality and Patient Safety Committee at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital – Hamilton.
Awards And Recognition
Named as “Rising Star” by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2013 and 2014.
- Practitioner Insights: Impact of Settlements on CERCLA Actions, Bloomberg BNA, September 6, 2017.
- “Cost-Effective Urban Redevelopment – Using the Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act” Presented for the National Business Institute in Newark, NJ on December 10, 2015.
- “Creating New Victims: Megan’s Law, The Third Circuit and Punishment.” – 22 Rutgers Law Record 10.
- “Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion in New Jersey.” – 23 Rutgers Law Record 6.