Mr. Bollar represents clients in complex toxic tort, product liability and environmental litigation matters. He is experience in handling environmental litigation cases in all of the contexts in which they arise, including single plaintiff cases, mass actions involving hundreds of plaintiffs, class actions and defending clients against state and federal government. Mr. Bollar typically handles high stakes litigation with massive potential damages. He has tried numerous contested matters in federal and state courts and has experience in all aspects of pre-trial and trial work.
Mr. Bollar’s cases often involve claims for personal injury, medical monitoring, property damage and natural resource damages. Mr. Bollar routinely handles claims involving exposure to various types of hazardous substances including benzene, MTBE and chlorinated compounds. Mr. Bollar also has experience in environmental insurance cases, representing policyholders in their efforts to obtain coverage against insurers for environmental claims. Mr. Bollar regularly counsels clients in state and federal regulatory matters and represents those clients in administrative hearings.
Some notable matters recently handled by Mr. Bollar include:
- Ongoing representation of an international petroleum company in multiple MTBE product liability cases seeking natural resource damages in a consolidated multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of New York. Each individual case seeks several hundred million dollars in damages.
- Frequent regulatory and compliance counseling for a client with a portfolio of over 100 sites subject to oversight and cleanup by EPA and local regulatory authorities.
- A six month jury trial involving contamination of soils and groundwater with petroleum products. Mr. Bollar was part of a trial team that defended the client against the claims of over 500 private homeowners for fraud, personal injury, property damages and punitive damages. The Maryland Court of Appeals issued a favorable and landmark ruling in this matter entitled Albright, et al v. Exxon Mobil Corp.
- A five month jury trial in defense of a major petroleum company from claims of over 300 plaintiffs arising from a gasoline leak in excess of 25,000 gallons into a bedrock aquifer. The Maryland Court of Appeals issued a favorable opinion in this matter entitled Ford, et al v. Exxon Mobil Corp.
- Settlement of a lawsuit with favorable results relating to the sale and remediation of a gasoline service station property with potential compensatory and punitive damages exposure in excess of $8 million.
- Frequent regulatory and compliance counseling for a client engaging in the ongoing investigation and remediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in a fractured bedrock environment in a well water community.
- Bench trial in defense of a client relating to the excavation of subsurface gasoline station equipment and efforts to remediate the property. The matter was settled favorably while on appeal to the New Jersey Appellate Division.
Professional And Community Involvement
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Regional President, Region III
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey – Past President
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Diversity and Continuing Legal Education Committees
- New Jersey Supreme Court Working Group on Judicial Participation in Fundraisers (2015)
- Member, Board of Directors, Philadelphia Diversity Law Group (2005-2011)
- Member, Supreme Court of New Jersey’s District IV Ethics Committee (2011-2014)
- Member, Camden County Bar Association, Commission on Diversity (2001-present)
- American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation and Environmental Litigation
Mr. Bollar frequently lectures on various topics relating to environmental law, complex litigation, e-discovery and diversity in the legal profession. Some of Mr. Bollar’s recent speaking engagements include:
- “How and When To Break the Rules: Effective Cross-Examinations”, HNBA Annual Conference (September 8, 2017)
- “2017 Recent Developments in New Jersey Law” New Jersey State Bar Association (July 27, 2017)
- “Taking and Defending Depositions” Camden County Bar Association (November 29, 2016)
- “Diversity in the Legal Profession”, Minority Student Program Reception, Rutgers School of Law (November 18, 2016)
- “E-Discovery and the New Federal Rules”, HBA-NJ Corporate Counsel Roundtable (November 15, 2016)
- Hispanic Business Forum (multiple topics), Chamber of Commerce for Southern New Jersey (November 6, 2015 and October 18, 2016)
- “Maximizing the Value of Legal Department Initiatives”, HNBA Annual Conference (October 8, 2016)
- “Ethical Implications of Social Media”, HNBA Annual Conference (September 4, 2015)
- “Dealing With Difficult Situations Involving Diversity”, Philadelphia Diversity Law Group (May 15, 2015)
- “Litigation in the Age of Technology” discussing e-discovery and emerging litigation issues, HBA-NJ 14th Annual Sun, Surf & Seminars (May 7, 2015)
Awards And Recognition
- “2017 Professional Lawyer of the Year,” New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- HNBA Affiliate of the Year Award, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey (President), 2016
- Archer & Greiner as Corporate Partner of the Year, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey (Diversity Committee Chair), 2017
- Honoree, 20th Annual Association of Latin American Law Students (March, 2017)
- Leadership Award, Boy Scouts of America (2016)
- “55 Most Influential Latinos in New Jersey” Latino Leadership Alliance of New Jersey (2015-2016)
- New Jersey Law Journal’s “Forty Under 40”
- Campiones de la Justicia (Champions of Justice) Award, Alianza, Rutgers Law-Camden (2009)